How long can I run at WOT

MNTooner

Cadet
Hello,

I recently bought a 2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 18 with a 2006 Mercury 50, 2 stroke. I see that the WOT range for this motor is 5000-5500 RPM. My question is how long can I run it in this range? For instance, yesterday we were returning from a sand bar after some swimming and had about 3 miles to go. Can I run it at say, 5400 RPMS for 3 miles, my BIL thought he would keep it closer to 5000 and less. If I open the throttle up I can easly get it up to 6000 (which I don't routinely do and realize that means I probably need a higher pitch prop but that is another discussion). If I ran it at 4000 it would take forever to get anywhere. What do think about running an engine at the WOT for an extended period of time?

Thanks,

Mark in MN

foodfisher

Captain
Re: How long can I run at WOT

Motor will handle it much better than the fuel supply.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You are definately not lugging your motor if it will spin up to 6000 rpm. You can run it at the recomended rpms as long as you want, they are designed for that.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The faster, the guzzler...gas is expensive, wot to plane faster if heavily loaded, throttle down to 3/4 and drink some beers while reaching your destination point.. a 2 strokes engines consumes 12% of their HP in fuel gallons per hour at wot, 4 strokes and efi's much less.

Happy Boating

MNTooner

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the replies. The engined seemed to run great at 5200-5400, I never even thought of the fuel it would guzzle. I think I'll run her generaly around 4800 or so.

Thanks again!

Borgey401

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The faster, the guzzler...gas is expensive, wot to plane faster if heavily loaded, throttle down to 3/4 and drink some beers while reaching your destination point.. a 2 strokes engines consumes 12% of their HP in fuel gallons per hour at wot, 4 strokes and efi's much less.

Happy Boating

Wow, I never knew that info on 2 strokes. Makes absolute sense and is very good to know.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

Happy Boating

that makes no sense to me. I have a 90hp engine and run it around at WOT all the time. I'm either idling or WOT. 90x12%=10.8 gallons. my boat has a 10 gallon gas tank on it which by your calculations means I have enough gas for 1 hr of travel....I've been out running around for 4hrs constant several times as I travel up the cooper river from charleston into lake marion...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The faster, the guzzler...gas is expensive, wot to plane faster if heavily loaded, throttle down to 3/4 and drink some beers while reaching your destination point..

Um.....if you do that, your "destination point" will probably be the local JAIL!!
toothlessgiggler.gif

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

This is not exact rocket science for bigger engines, those are 2 stroke, 2 cylinder single carbed engine parameters, don't know if this could be applied to multicarbed 2 T engines wich guzzles more, 4 strokes, EFI'S, TLD much less. Use sometimes a 3 carbed Yam 60 HP at 3/4 throttle and sucks a 6 gal tank very fast. Ooops, strict laws, driver must not drink, but switching to auto pilot can become a passenger. LOL!!

Happy Boating