what year is my 45 hp outboard chrysler

tilem

Recruit
model #457ha<br />serial #3383<br />any help would be appreciated<br />thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: what year is my 45 hp outboard chrysler

That's a 1970 model ya got there...<br /><br />45 457 HA-HH 1970-77 "HA" being 1970 "HH" being 1977

tilem

Recruit

Thanks for the info. Now it's time to get it purring. ordered new cables from wardmarine.com great prices<br />also used advise from this forum to order fuel pump and carb kits<br /><br />thanks again

rbtroutguy

Recruit

That's a 1970 model ya got there...<br /><br />45 457 HA-HH 1970-77 "HA" being 1970 "HH" being 1977

You seem to know your stuff......might be able to stump you though. I have a Montgomery Ward Sea King 45 hp outboard serial # 86X 20045; model # VWB27945B. Any idea what year it was made? I've been told it's 50's or 60's. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, rbtroutguy

Dunaruna

Admiral

2 cyl, 45 hp. Made by Chrysler in 1968.

rbtroutguy

Recruit

Thanks for the tip......brand new to this, so sorry if I tagged on wrong. rbtroutguy

pkdjr8

Recruit

I'm new here , didn't realize there was a forum for this, really helpful. I'd like to ask a few questions regarding Chrysler outboards. I've seen the Chryslers on the river over the years, never heard much about them, Iv'e only owned Johnsons', so I know little about the Chryslers. First of all, are they fairly dependable?, What are some of the common glitches associated with Chryslers? I realize age, previous care, ect. is a factor here. My son just bought a 1970, 45 hp unit, looks clean, we put it on the stand and cleaned the terminal ends, and relay unit cable ends, hooked it up to a fully charged 12v battery, turned the ignition and the relay clicks, but the starter won't engage the flywheel. It isn't stuck, it turns freely by hand. The motor reportedly worked good last year, I have no reason to think it didn't. What am I doing wrong, or is the starter possibly needing repair? Any other info on this brand of engine would be helpful thank you.

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does the starter spin at all?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Make sure the ground wires are clean as well. The starter probably has a body ground so only one wire going to it. You could take it apart and clean it then put it back together. Hardest part is holding the brushes in place when putting the cover back on. I use mono fishing line and then cut it after the cover of the starter covers the brushes enough to hold them in place so you do not need the fishing line. Clean with a dry rag or maybe some WD 40

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Before you take apart the starter, bypass the solenoid with a jumper cable --hot (pos) to the side terminal, ground to the starter body. If it turns and cranks the engine, the solenoid is bad.

The solenoid is a relay with a high current capacity. Since starter motor draw is very high amps, the heavy duty contacts can pit and burn from sparking. Then the solenoid will click as the coil draws the contacts closed but the burned contacts will pass no current.