Glasspar Project

Just aquired a '60ish Glasspar "Gold Cup". Needs some TLC. Mostly cosmetic. The Motor is a '58 Super Sea Horse 50. Also needs some TLC. If anyone has any info on the boat I could use it. I have searched far and wide for another like it, the closest I have come is a "Tacoma"

boat 2.jpgBoat.jpg

Re: Glasspar Project

Thanks for that. Found out it is a Tacoma 140. Not sure what the GOLD CUP emblems are about.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That is a COOL hull with a SUPER COOL motor! Good luck with your project and welcome to the forum.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

Very similar to My Flamingo project. I love the old runabouts!!!! I will be watching this one with great interest.

WelcomeAboard.JPG

Wow. Thanks for the support. I hope no one is getting too excited. I am a restoration virgin. It will be mildly challenging and lots of fun. I will keep pictures coming.

kfa4303

Banned

Are those lights or jet thrusters on the back of the motor? I want some :) No worries. The folks here can talk you through any troubles you may run in to.

Are those lights or jet thrusters on the back of the motor? I want some :) No worries. The folks here can talk you through any troubles you may run in to.

Just decorative caps. Their purpose is for quick access to the spark plugs. The motor is going to be the biggest part of the restoration.

Having a hard time finding a shop to take a look at the motor. Being a '58 no one here in East Idaho will even touch it. I thought I had read about a free downloadable manual here on I-boats, but I can't find it. Anyone have any info?

apson

Cadet

I love the look of that outboard! Late 50s/early 60s are where-it's-at for outboard/boat design if you ask me :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Send me a PM with you Private email address and I'll send you the service manual for your motor.

kfa4303

Banned

Ehhhhh......You don't need not stinking shop:) You can do virtually all of the work yourself, especially with the service manual. I always thinks it's crazy that shops won't work on these old gems!?!? They're so simple and easy to work on compared to modern Darth Vader contraptions. Here are some handy links that can walk you through all the basics of getting this motor running again. You should be able to get most of the parts right here at iboats too. Assuming there are not major issues you can have her running like new for years to come for less than $200. Feel free to ask lots of questions when you get stuck.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/columns/max/07/index.htm

Ehhhhh......You don't need not stinking shop:) You can do virtually all of the work yourself, especially with the service manual. I always thinks it's crazy that shops won't work on these old gems!?!? They're so simple and easy to work on compared to modern Darth Vader contraptions. Here are some handy links that can walk you through all the basics of getting this motor running again. You should be able to get most of the parts right here at iboats too. Assuming there are not major issues you can have her running like new for years to come for less than $200. Feel free to ask lots of questions when you get stuck.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/columns/max/07/index.htm

You rock. Very informative.

Thought I would post some updated pictures of the damages and such.

back.jpgBow Crack 3.jpgBow. Crack.jpgTransom Back.jpg

I don't know all of the correct terminology so please bear with me. There is a large crack by the steering wheel. And three smaller cracks on the ?Resivoir? attached to the transom. When I pulled the motor off the transfer in weight caused a little water to spill out from the very bottom ?Drain Hole? So I lifted the bow, and a steady stream of water came out. So I am assuming I will have to replace the floor, and some stingers. It doesn't seem to have any soft spots when I am walking on the floor.

Attachments

• Transom Right.jpg
    Transom Right.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1

I have some questions about the transom. What is the best tool to use to cut it out? I am going to replace the three layers but leave the thin outter layer. Does the transom go all the way down to the bottom of the hull, beyond the floor?

apson

Cadet

Judging by the pics, this is what I would do... As for the big crack in your cap by the steering wheel I would grind out the wound and be sure to taper each side of the wound back a bit -- about an inch. Preserve as much original material on the under side of the crack as you can and taper/feather out about 5/8"-3/4" out toward the top (some say 3"). The idea is to give your filler something to bind to. It is the opposite what you would do to stitch a wound on the human body. You're going to make it worse before you start fixing it (like plastic surgery, literally, I guess). Second, do what you need to in order to get each side of the wound to line up...investigate any structural issues, etc. I say this because it appears each side of the crack have no interest in lining up; I would want to know why. I also wouldn't want to repair this in a state of tension (i.e. remove tension, repair, and return to tension). You're going to have a corner to fair, but you need some structural support there first -- at the least cloth and at the most foredeck support in the form of wood, etc (whatever was there but is now possibly rotten). My glasspar had wooden supports on the foredeck as poorly installed as the stringers. Once I had each side of the crack lined up to where they would be (using your imagination being that there is now a giant gaping wound) I would 1) cover the underside of the wound with something to hold my filler in place (tape, etc, the smoother the better, see step 3), 2) fill it shallow with "structural" peanut butter (epoxy, cabosil or West System 406 which I would provide a link to on the iboats.com store if it didn't force me to share my session id), 3) grind the underside of the wound to fresh polyester and layup some cloth on the underside 3 inches past the wound with epoxy, 4) fill "proud" with epoxy/fairing compound from the top and 5) reproduce that corner with sander/hand fairing. Fairing that corner there will be a trial and error if this is your first time messing with fairing...if you go too deep, just remember you can always fill in where you screwed up and fair that part again.

For what I believe is your splash well (what you called reservoir) that looks like a much easier repair because at least the opposing sides of the crack are lining up. First, get the splash well out, obviously; you'll need to in order to replace the transom. Repair process is the same as above. The West System website has some good tips on repairs like these but I recommend getting your epoxy and cloth from uscomposites.com.

I could be wrong...but on this forum or boatdesign.net I have yet to see any Glasspar from the 50s/60s that didn't need a new transom/sole/stringers. The transom/sole/stringers are not encapsulated in resin and what you'll likely find under there is a few very useless pieces of wood floating in some short lengths of chopped strand mat that are barely laminated to the hull. All of that will need to be cut/ground out and replaced. Tab your new stringers with 12 oz biaxial +/-45 6" tape. I learned this from PAR on boatdesign.net. I bought my 12oz tape from Raka. USComposites doesn't sell it without the CSM. Iboats.com might sell it but I have a heck of a time finding stuff on this site, sadly.

On the transom, this has been covered many times as well...glasspars, too. Just remember to preserve the outer skin and cut the rotten wood out from the inside. The more rotten the wood the better...it's easier to get out.

Finally, how on earth did that cap get cracked/ripped like that? It looks like it's been hanging from that deck cleat since the Nixon era.