1989 bayliner trophy 21 ft. control and plane questions

papajoe1956

Cadet
ok, brand new here, all my boating experience has been if full displacement hulls. this is the first planing hull i have run. i have trim tabs on boat and a 97 evunrude sea pro. question is at what wave height does the boat stop planing and just bang around, i was try to sneak up the east side of staten island today and only got half way to the verranzanno befor i had to turn back, no matter what conbo of trim and motor tilt i couldn't go past 10-12 knots on gps without banging into seas. at 7-9 i could work through it but it was a roller coster ride, wind was blowing 20 knts from s/w and seas were 3/5 feet with some confused rouge waves thrown in....finally at what speed can i expect to get up on plane, i have no tach. thanks papajoe

Maityme

Cadet
Re: 1989 bayliner trophy 21 ft. control and plane questions

You were very lucky getting that fast in those kind of seas. Planning boats are not designed to take rough seaslike a displacement boat. If you do get on plan, that hull won't last long. you will eventually rip the stringers apart from the hull taking a beating like that.

papajoe1956

Cadet

You were very lucky getting that fast in those kind of seas. Planning boats are not designed to take rough seaslike a displacement boat. If you do get on plan, that hull won't last long. you will eventually rip the stringers apart from the hull taking a beating like that.

thanks, yeah bit of a learning curve, but figureing out......got it up to 31.4 knts on smooth water with it trimmed out. and i figured out we do not jump wakes with a 20 ft bayliner....go figure,,, thanks for input.....

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I run my 1991 Bayliner Trophy in various waves always on plane. It al about speed and how much Itrim up the motor. MY boat has a 225hp evinrude with a 10hp honda kicker. She is a bit heavy in the *** and in the front. I tend to load the boat heavy with a full tank of gas always. I find that I get better handling in rougher waves.

Top speed is 40mph on flat glass and perfectly trimmed, just a bit trimmed up, say 1/8 to 1/4 before cavitating. (5300 rpms)

2-3' waves I normally run around 22-28mph with the the motor trimmed up 1/4-1/2 before cavitating. (3800-4300 rpms)

3-4' waves is around 20-22 mph with the motor trimmed 1/2-3/4 before cavitating. (3500-3800 rpms)

4-5' waves is around 15-20 mph with the motor trimmed up all the way before cavitating (3200-3500 rpms) I find I loose plane is I drop below 3400 rpms

5- beyond is anywhere between 7-12 mph, with motor trimmed up all the way and 6 pails of water on the deck behind the diver and passanger. 2200-3000 rpms. It all about trimming the motor up until the bow stops slapping the oncoming waves. I try to get the bow stabilized so I can run. I play with the motor trim in little incerments while running. Both up and down to maintain the non bouncing.

These boats are basically designed to be run like you stole them on calm water. If you want a rough water boat try a Grady White in the same size. Their hulls are design for rough water and not a speed boat. Also the grady is 500-1000lbs heavier than a Trophy. Don't get me wronge I love my boat. Just it is design for a certain application. Rough water is not it.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I love running it Miami Vice style at top speed in 1-2's. Love when you start jumping wakes. And yes they will hold up. They are strong durable boats. Just make sure your transom is not rotten first!

Maityme

Cadet

View attachment 107881Is seems we all have Bayliners, Mine is a 2060 Hard top Trophy and not built like the new ones. The older Bayliner Trophy's were actually the Trophiys boat which were made for fishing. Bayliner did not have a fishing lineup so they bought trophy in the late 70's or eraly early 80's. With that, Bayliner changed the construction and thickness of the hull. This is what everybody is fussing about.

papajoe1956

Cadet

thanks guys, i feel alot better, thought i killed the boat by banging it in the rough water second time out. know it aint much but it's a big purchace for us. and yeah i have a stress crack in transom but will be pulling boat out monday and stabalising crack AND putting plates on to stabalise the transom. overkill but you cannot be to careful. ps... got the boat trimmed out and got it up to 31.5 knts... kick ***. watching my 12 year old behind the helm makes me bust with pride, he takes chrge and is very aware situationally....... one final question, my evinrude 150 ocean pro use's about 90-110 dollars of fuel every run. i have been running flat out alot, but am seeing that i can get up on plane and cruise at about 17 / 20 knots. my typical run is about 20 miles......i am figuring out that outboards have really poor milage....l.o.l i have no tach so i do it all by gps and feel......every one have a great day and be safe....from the "WINNIE MAE" and papjoe i am out......

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Um transoms don't stress crack. They rot and crack. You will want to dive into that one a bit before you "stabilize" it. Pull the splash well drains and check for rot.

If you find some PM me. I'll lead you donw the path of enlightenment. lol Been there and done that.

Also check the engine mounting bolts. See if they are loose or pulled thru the fiberglass. Another indicator of rot

papajoe1956

Cadet

yeah been reading up on transoms, will be chking for rot. will remove what i can then use a duracast type product to permeate and fill voids and replace bad wood. something i was thinkin was running a 1/2 inch 8-10" screw at an angle to engage both sides of largest visible area of crack. looking at stern from on board there is a 4 inch crack in fiberglass on right side of mounting portion of transom at 45% running from inside to outside. also very small but long crack along area were transom meets floor no water seem to seep though. and yes the drain holes are loose and i will be removing them and removing as much rot as i can access. i figure i have had boat out 4 times and have hit some wakes pretty hard andmotor didn't crack off, but when i run at about 4 knots the motors vibration causes a vibration that causes 45% crack to move ever so slightly. marina owner who seems pretty smart says wait till winter but i can't do that with a easy mind with bride and boy on board. i am assuming the worst and will remove and replace with really strong epoxy. what do you think about the screw idea on the big crack. by the way crack is only on inside of transom not ouside and no where near mounting bolts....papjoe

papajoe1956

Cadet

ps thanks for your service chief, my son is a crew chief on a b-52 in minot, 3rd generation airforce.....

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your son probably know more "tricks" then I do then. Tell him thanks for his service in this time of need.

If you check out the link in my signature, it is where I posted my transom fix. Might give you a coupld of ideas. I don't know about the screws with out a pic or two. I guess it is a problem from being an engineer. Like my father always said you can not build/fix anything without a plan!

papajoe1956

Cadet

i am from the school of a hammer and glue will fix anything

papajoe1956

Cadet

well guys, got the transom plate made dried out the transom for 5 days with heat and fans and installed the new support plates today. my help crapped out, but i did it. west marine 655 epoxy and 24 1/2 inch screws into five different support plates.....wish me luck....motor go's on thursday....

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well guys, got the transom plate made dried out the transom for 5 days with heat and fans and installed the new support plates today. my help crapped out, but i did it. west marine 655 epoxy and 24 1/2 inch screws into five different support plates.....wish me luck....motor go's on thursday....

Do you have before and after pictures?

papajoe1956

Cadet

no before but will post after showing plate. used a qt. of west systems 655. or is it 665 any way you can use it on damp wood but i feel real good about getting the wood pretty dry. when I clamped transom using the transom plate as the glue jigs i got plenty of squeeze out. . filled several hole i drilled using a small steel rod and just kept pushing glue down the holes. instead of using the cheap plastic cap i epoxied the whole top with three coats of epoxy. will sand and paint thursday, then motor go's on friday. wait for hurricane to pass and in the water tuesday......did the best I could. all my help bailed and I did it all my self.....I needed 6 arms but I got it done. if nothing else I sure pissed off the wet wood....l.o.l