Chieftain windshield question

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,

I'm a new owner of a 1971 21' Chieftain that has some cracks in the lower plexiglass windshield.

Is there a better way to fix this than going to a shop and having a new piece of plexiglass made up? Ideally I would like to use a material that's tougher, easier to clean, and more resistant to scratching. Has anyone modified the frame and used two pieces of glass? Would that be possible? Any other materials to consider?

Thanks,

Erik

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chieftain windshield question

Have the same for my Holiday - I tried plexi polish - but too far gone - I am going to a glass store to get a piece made,

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hope you do get the tempered glass. As I do not think that the regular type of glass will sustain the contant impacts of the boat while traveling. Also top aluminum structure on these boats depends on the piece of Plexiglass for structure. I would stick with Plexi glass. But go with smoke color. It looks so much better!

boat 014-1-1.jpg

This was my last boat. As 1971 starcraft chieftan. The smoke glass seams to complete it. Just my opinion though....

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies!

It's looking like I'll be going to a shop for new material, I got the old out of the frame, made a pattern to cut the new from and then disposed of the old windshield.

j_k_bisson,

Can you give me some details on the material you used? I really like the way your boat looks and am interested in doing the same. How are the side windows done? Are they the original glass, tinted?

-Thanks,

-Erik

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The front windows are only plexi-glass. I believe 1/8" smoked. The side windows are the original glass and frames. Just remove the windows then take the screws that hold frames together out. THe glass will come out. I went to our local window manufacture and bought the rubber molding that holdes the glass in place. It wasn't expensive. Like $0.60/foot. I also used auto limo tint from Murrays Discount for the window tinting. Its the same stuff for boats. Just while the glass is out of the frames, tint them. Its not hard. Just clean the glass really good, even with a razor blade, then some soap and water then the tint goes down. Squeegee the tint out and voula it done..... But seriously, it's not hard the you will probably ruin the first window. It took two kits for my windows. SO actually three with the on I ruined....

Hope this helps. Ask away with your questions.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Go to a glass shop and use glass not plexi. They have safety glass that will withstand boat use and it is cheaper than lexan. If using plastic use lexan (polycarbonite) not plexiglass as plexiglass will shatter. I have worked with these plastics for years and I would not want plexiglass for any window. I have glass in my boat, impact resistant and very hard to scratch!

Airshot

jetstreakdave

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with airshot, glass is best but lexan is way better than plexiglas.

barato2

Commander

lexan will be a lot easier to bend into shape than tempered glass......or am i missing something?

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is your front windsheild curved like mine is? If so I think you have to go with Lexan. I have to change mine out as well.