Evinrude 6hp Fisherman idle problem

lexus258

Cadet
Hi All,
Just finished replacing condensers and points and set up. Have also stripped and cleaned carb and replaced all parts from service kit, apart from the float (which floats well in gas and is not the old cork one)
The problem I have is that the engine will start and run fine at high revs only then dies after a couple of seconds. I have the low speed idle out 1 1/2 turns and have tried opening it and closing it and waiting but the thing still dies. I have a real problem starting it again only with choke fully closed. I then notice a small amount of petol leaving the front of the bowl.
As I say when its going it sounds perfect only it will not keep going.
Please help.
Thanks

AlTn

Commander
Re: Evinrude 6hp Fisherman idle problem

google...leeroy's ramblings...scroll to outboard motor related articles....scroll to 6hp....follow his steps on carb rebuild...post back if this doesn't solve things...pay close attention to setting the float

lexus258

Cadet

Hi,

Thanks for that.
I did the set up from that web site as it said. The float is set level with the carb as instructed.

lexus258

Cadet

Got it running. The slow speed idle is only 1/2 turn out. Is this normal??
It engage gear and fine that on WOT the engine dies. If I pump the primer bulb I can keep it going. Is this a fuel pump problem. (as it now seems to idle ok albeit now and again splutters but is solved by blipping the throttle)

The fuel pump is a hexagonal shaped one not a square on. It has some kind of paper filter inside. If this is the problem can you switch it out for one of the square ones?

Please help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Fuel pump working properly? Sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem. Try squirting fuel mixture into the carb and see if it will stay running, if so you need to double check the carb overhaul.

AlTn

Commander

the square one is the only one I'm familiar with...do have a model no. or year for your motor?...pumping the primer bulb to keep it going is, in effect, doing what the fuel pump should do

kuch522

Recruit

I have a 1984 60hp Evinrude and mine is doing the same thing with the idle. Sounds perfect when i pull the throttle up but dies shortly after i put the throttle down! i added seafoam (which has helped it in the past) and changed the primer bulb hose..I guess the next thing i should do is clean/rebuild the carb? If you find something that works and fixes yours..please post!

lexus258

Cadet

Thanks for the replies.

I may have given a wrong shape for the fuel pump. It is rectangular with a bottom shaped like "\/".

I have changed the primer bulb today. I have noticed a small clear pipe running from what appears to be the top piston to the bottom on the fuel pump side it is only pushed on and not held with any jubilee clips. I have removed it and it smells like fuel inside. When running there appears to be a small amount of fuel bubbling through. What is this tube/pipe for?

I'm sorry I am unsure of the year of this motor. When I got it the guy said it was an early 70's one.

I have had the engine running an ticking over it just appears to be the running at speed and cutting out issue now and having to pump the bulb when WOT.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Does the engine have the model/serial number plate on it, what is the model number?

AlTn

Commander

go to marineengine.com..select 1972 year..6 hp....crankcase cylinder diagram..sounds like you are describing the return line for unburned fuel from the upper crankshaft area to the lower..helps in lubrication of lower...study those diagrams as the early 70's won't be much different from one another

lexus258

Cadet

This is the only number on the engine crank case on the port side. It is missing the serial number plate.

c0568740

lexus258

Cadet

I checked out the marine engine web site. Yes it is that little hose as you described. It is not clamped off as the diagram shows. Will this make a difference to the engine performance/idle etc??

AlTn

Commander

well, both ends need to be connected to the crankcase otherwise unmetered air is entering the crankcase

lexus258

Cadet

I've pulled the fuel pump and it has the following serial no. on the back which refers to a 9.5 hp model. Will this effect the running of my 6 hp??

hidef

Lieutenant

Your fuel pump model is fine if it is working correctly it was an older model fuel pump but if it working there should be no issue with it. That model was actually replaced by FUEL PUMP&SCREW AY 0388685 which is listed as the correct fuel pump for your outboard. The original pump might have failed and someone bolted that one on as a replacement

hidef

Lieutenant

That one should work

lexus258

Cadet

Hi,

As you know I have pulled the fuel pump 304089 and taken it apart. It appears sound inside with no holes in the diaphragm. Unfortunately a spring and small plastic disk fell out. I asume that this is an integral part of the pumping cycle. Can anyone help as to where they are meant to go back. I m unable to find a diagram for this pump to assist.

Thank you again.

planman

Cadet

I have a similar problem with my 68 6hp I kitted the carb it ran one day the next it starts then immediately quits like it's out of gas. The same process for the fuel pump then the tank then the gas lines.I've even tried gravity feeding the gas, I put the tank on a ladder and by-pass the pump as a test, If I let it sit one day and do nothing it will start and run but the following day it will start but quit. I will look at the crank case by-pass hose as suggested earlier but I'm also going to look at the Reeds because if the reeds are loose or dirty that might explain my intermitin running problem. BTW it doesn't matter what throttle position I'm in.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

kuch522 and planman you should start your own personalized posts,this poster needs no distractions other than his question