From Columbus, OH Where it the Best Place to Go For A Vacation?

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been to Deep Creek Lake, MD, Lake Charlervloix, MI and right now I am at Smith Mountain Lake, Va. I think I like Smith Mountain the best. The weather is fatastaic, the lake water is smooth and warm and it's not the least bit crowded. When I went to Lake Charlervoix it was so rough sometimes that we could not enjoy going out. As a matter of fact one day we were about the only boat on the lake. Deep Creek used to be my favorite place, but the last time we were there it was so crowded we could barely get up on plane without running into a bunch of boats or PWC's. Plus what other lake has an Ice Cream Boat? Really an Ice Cream Boat was on the lake today, he came up to us and we bought two Nutty Buddy's right in the middle of the lake.

Cincyrunner

Seaman
Re: From Columbus, OH Where it the Best Place to Go For A Vacation?

From Cincinnati here....we just spent a week at Lake Norris, TN and loved it. The lake is large with rivers and tons of coves branching off. The water is a very clear blue/green, and deep in some places. It was busy the Saturday we arrived and Sunday, but by Monday all the weekend warriors cleared out and it seemed we had the entire lake to ourselves until Thursday, when traffic started to pick back up. Best thing about Norris is the short drive time. We're used to driving 12+ hours to the beach, so with only a 4-5 hour drive towing the boat, it's a great change. We'll definitely be going back to Lake Norris again.

nozipcode

Cadet

Have you done Lake Cumberland , they dropped the water 40' for dam repairs and it is absolutely gorgeous . A lot of spots look like Arizona.....very cool . During the week it is slow and it's fairly close for you also . If you have any questions let me know, be glad to help !

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have wanted to go to Lake Cumberland, but it's very hard to find houses on the lake with a private dock. I want my own dock with the boat tied up so I can come and go on the boat when I want. If I have to put the boat in and out of the water I might as well stay home and go to Alum Creek.

Cincyrunner

Seaman

We have wanted to go to Lake Cumberland, but it's very hard to find houses on the lake with a private dock. I want my own dock with the boat tied up so I can come and go on the boat when I want. If I have to put the boat in and out of the water I might as well stay home and go to Alum Creek.

Lake Norris has house rentals on the shore, most with private docks. Check it out.

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Norris Lake is my vote,just got back from their myself on late Thursday. Started going to Norris in 1991 when we couldn't get a place on Cumberland at the last minute,haven't been back since!!!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Since you already made it to Charlevoix, I will make some other suggestions in the Michigan.

Burt/Mullet/Crooked chain of lakes: This chain of lakes is connected by rivers and offers a really good multi day trip. There are houses for rent on both Burt and Mullet lakes and likely on Crooked as well. You can head out to Cheboygan also. In good weather you can also head all the way out to Mackinac Island from Cheboygan. Yes, in your 18' boat it is possible.

Les Cheneaux Islands (Cedarville/Hessel): This collection of islands really should be on every boaters "must cruise" list. This is a perfect destination for smaller boats. While the water is technically Lake Huron, it is very protected by the islands and you can explore many different bays and channels for days. You can also head out onto the open lake and explore areas like Prentiss bay and St. Martins Reef. You can easily head out to Mackinac from here as well. There are many places you can rent a cottage or home and almost all of them have docks available.

Torch Lake: There really isn't much more to say. Beautiful. There are also lakes connected to Torch by rivers that offer you some nice opportunities to explore. Also, if the waves are a little too much on Torch, these smaller connected lakes offer you the opportunity to still use the boat in more protected waters.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have to agree with Rotaryracer, I've been to the Les Cheneaux Islands and also spend two weeks every year on Drummond Island. Renting a private home with docking won't be an issue. Even renting a private Island (Surgeons Island) out in the bay off of Drummond in the Whitney Bay.
http://www.fortdrummondmarine.com/cabins.php We've been staying on Surgeons Island for the past 6 yrs....very secluded well protected waters.

Torch Lake also a highly regarded destination. Both places sure to be enjoyable

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Check out Lake Raystown. I went there for the first time this year and loved it. Already went back a second time and am planning a third trip.

spazz70

Cadet

Going to Indian Lake this weekend...will update when I get back...should be about an hour for you...