HELP!!!! 1966 johnson super sea-horse 33 electric

jasper60103

Commander
Re: HELP!!!! 1966 johnson super sea-horse 33 electric

Lonewolf,

your fuel pump should be the same as mine. Sorry, I don't have a good pic.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i180/jasper_60103/boat/SDC12009.jpg

I attached the parts list for you.

Also, I found one available on ebay for $20. It's a gamble mind you. I'm not sure a new aftermarket part is available?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...Track=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

edit: Look at your fuel pump and carefully to be sure this is a match.

Do you need a high speed needle for your carb?

jasper

Attachments

• fuel_pump.JPG
    fuel_pump.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 0

lonewolf8814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK OK tashasdaddy, I'm gonna go for it! HAHA!! No need to keep rubbin it in!LOL! Jasper, my pump is VERY different than yours!!! http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m76/lonewolf8814/lonestar/ Guess someone replaced it previously. Thanks for that info! Me & the wife are talkin about it. Want to find an unused one, but it's not looking good. Yeah, my high speed needle is shot. I don't know if it needs replacing or if I just need to rebuild the carb. It wont budge, what do you think?

lonewolf8814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm gonna try to call laings outboards & see if they have the parts I need, they don't have them listed though. That BRP link that chinewalker posted in that thread you linked was a goldmine!:eek:! They have the blow up diagrams of everything!! The oldest being 68', but it's identical to mine so far as I can tell & it has the same fuel pump!!!! I'm guessing someone put a 68' type fuel pump on my 66' motor cause it has a built in filter ... nice! At least I know what I'm working with now, so it wont be so cornfuzzing!!HA!!

lonewolf8814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, scratch that last assumption!! It looks like that IS the original pump!! 66' & 68' sea horses supposedly have the same type of parts!

jasper60103

Commander

Yes, I would go with the part F_R stated, Sierra 18-7351 Fuel Pump. Which you can buy right here. Just follow the Johnson Parts link.

Just be sure to first check compression/spark on that motor before putting money into it; or the honey will be mad.:D

coolguy147

Commander

i think "coolguy" is only 13, then we have bassboy 1 and baconbiscut who are now 15. sorry LW.

one thing i have to say about learning about the basics on motors.

youtube@@@!!! trust me learned a lot.

oh i turned 14 last october

coolguy147

Commander

yo whats happened on compression and spark buddy boy? please get those numbers in be nice. and change the water impeller we dont wnat ur sob story on crying about an overheated motor. gear needs to be checked and replaced with washers for the screws. 85-95 gear oil. might wanna take the prop off and checkf ro fishing line. just make sure u reinstall with a new cotter pin. make sure u have the right plugs in the motor. when i was fixing up this 1959 35hp( basically same thign as ur motor.) i might add all those things need to be done first befor eu try to start it. and to be able to start it u need a new fuel pump diafram and a carb rebuild kit.

only problem which it might or might now have on the motor. is the seal between the lowerunit and block. it might let exhaust gases in. bit hard to fix. but do the thigns i listed above first then we will do the other things

lonewolf8814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

coolguy147, nice to meet ya, I've heard alot about you = talented kid!! But let me be the one to say it ... there's 3 yr olds who can play Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 24 , that don't mean everybody can though! LOL!! Seriously though, I'm going to do it ASAP. The wife want's a car so ALL my spending's on hold for the moment! You'll understand when you get one, gotta keep em happy (a wife that is). Right now I'm just doing my prep research so I have at least an academic understanding of this motor before I dive into it.Gonna check out some of that youtube stuff you mentioned, that's a great idea! Never thought of that!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I'm glad too hear that you are going to slow down a bit and learn about your motor. While you are doing this, I think you need to start thinking about your boat a bit too.

From the photos that you linked of the boat, it is in very rough condition. It obviously needs a new floor, and probably needs new stringers & transom. Please be sure to check these things oout, because they are very much related to safety.

coolguy147

Commander

I'm glad too hear that you are going to slow down a bit and learn about your motor. While you are doing this, I think you need to start thinking about your boat a bit too.

From the photos that you linked of the boat, it is in very rough condition. It obviously needs a new floor, and probably needs new stringers & transom. Please be sure to check these things oout, because they are very much related to safety.

if he wnated to he could always go purchase another boat

lonewolf8814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

((It just occored to me that as badly as the foam pac was saturated & the floor rotted, I may have some keel & stringer issues under all that foam!! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find out without tearing out all the foam??)) That's what I posted yesterday in the thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=294311 about my boat. HA! You're right, it's in bad shape, but not too bad considering how RARE genuine lonestar cadets are. I SCRAPED off the transom first, it was rotted away to nothing! Coolguy, I want THIS boat/motor because it's a rare jewel & it goes with my 66' chevy truck you can also see in the pics. I've gotta thing for classics that need TLC. Nothing makes ya feel as proud as bringing an old beauty back to life. Not to mention the fact that financial realities keep me from spending like that, which is why I got the boat & trailer that cost $200 and the motor that cost $75! LOL! I'm sure I'm not the only one on Iboats with a very limited budget! LMFAO!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

LW, you are not the only one. also there is a matter of PRIDE, in restoring a classic. there is not a better feeling, than to lauch a Mature Women, pushing the button and she fires right up, and idles smoothly at the ramp. especially when the guys with the high powered payments are trying to figure out why theirs will not start.

remember, make her safe first, the the lipstick and rouge comes later. this is what i'm talking about.
1966 14 ft Sport Craft, 1986 50 evinrude
before
newboatandmerc003.jpg

after
67sportcrafttrailer001.jpg

lonewolf8814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OH MAN!! You ain't kidding!! That's where it's at! Coolguy, just look at that!:eek: Now I ask you, where can ya find such a thing of beauty in "modern" boat models?!?! Back then designers put as much art into the design as anything!! Modern boats are all function, no heart! Not to mention more complicated than they need to be! Tashasdaddy, what did you use for the windshield trim? :confused:I've made me a windshield already, just can't find anything to trim it with!

coolguy147

Commander

((It just occored to me that as badly as the foam pac was saturated & the floor rotted, I may have some keel & stringer issues under all that foam!! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find out without tearing out all the foam??)) That's what I posted yesterday in the thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=294311 about my boat. HA! You're right, it's in bad shape, but not too bad considering how RARE genuine lonestar cadets are. I SCRAPED off the transom first, it was rotted away to nothing! Coolguy, I want THIS boat/motor because it's a rare jewel & it goes with my 66' chevy truck you can also see in the pics. I've gotta thing for classics that need TLC. Nothing makes ya feel as proud as bringing an old beauty back to life. Not to mention the fact that financial realities keep me from spending like that, which is why I got the boat & trailer that cost $200 and the motor that cost $75! LOL! I'm sure I'm not the only one on Iboats with a very limited budget! LMFAO!!

about the foam stringer issue. thats y i switched to old boats that r all alumium lol. this orlando clipper ive been cleaning only thing it has is the trnasom which was replaced and thats it. the foam under the seats. and the floor is reinforced by bars of alumium and a floor could be added but y? its already there.

to the point i prefer alumium botas unless theres salt near me

tashasdaddy

Ok, guys. both have advantages and disadvantages. let's not see who can do it high up on the tree.

coolguy147

Commander

w/e all i know is i got a fast boat:D

( i always win though might as well forfeit if there a competition):rolleyes:

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The good news is that we have a forum right here at iboats on restoring boats in need of a bit (and sometime much more than a bit) of TLC. Take "a walk" over to the "Boat Restoration and Building" threads and you'll learn a great deal on making the old gals shine!

I also had to grin bigtime on TD's comments about the "boat payment" guys with engine problems! Someone has a thread here at iboats about reasons for enjoying our hobby. OK, I admit it, one of my pleasures in life is towing in someone with a $50,000 boat/motor that won't run, with my 37 year old Johnson! Doing the same with my '58 Bigtwins was pretty fun too!

;)

lonewolf8814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I've decided that (since I already have to rebuild my carb due to the shot needle valve) rather than test for compression & spark so as to dodge rebuilding, I'm just going to overhaul the whole thing:eek:! I have no worries now that I have detailed blown-up diagrams of my motor & all her various parts. I'll test the coils with my multimeter & put new seals/gaskets all around, so there will be no doubt about it's viability. Besides, shes old & been through alot, she deservers a good "extreme make over"! LOL!:D

tashasdaddy

hold it!!! didn't you say limited budget. that power head probably is perfectly good, they were almost bullet proof. lack of oil, and lack of maintainance is what killed them. do a compression check. disable the compression relief before doing it. if you get 90 psi to 125 with in 10% of each other, is see no reason to crack the case. i have done more than my share.