OMC to Mercruiser conversion

wakeandbake

Cadet
I've been a long time browser on the site but currently a new member. I have had my eye on a Silverline boat for awhile. (not sure of model). It has a OMC electric shift stringer drive which is toast. I can get the boat for next to nothing and have a Mercruiser setup in the shed already. I remember seeing a few threads a while back where someone was doing the same swap but can't seem to find them now (yes i used the search function :D) If anyone could point my in the direction of those threads that would be great. Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC to Mercruiser conversion

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...

I donno where the other threads are, but I think I can answer any questions ya got...

wakeandbake

Cadet

I think I know everything I need. I just wanted to see how others built their engine mounts and such. I'm sure I will need a new transom anyway to that won't be a big deal. Pictures help me out alot when I'm working on someting :D.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I know everything I need. I just wanted to see how others built their engine mounts and such. I'm sure I will need a new transom anyway to that won't be a big deal. Pictures help me out alot when I'm working on someting :D.

Check out Friscoboaters Sea Ray restoration thread. He did his transom and has detailed videos of measuring for and fabricating/mounting his motor mounts, along with alignment information and everything you will need. Take lots of pictures, and we will be here every step of the way... Good luck to you... And go for it... Below is a link to his thread...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454460

Oh Yeah, Courtesy of Woodonglass, check out the below diagram on transom assembly...

(Click to Enlarge)
TransomBuilddiagram.jpg

wakeandbake

Cadet

I'll be sure to check that out along with many others I'm sure. I don't think it would be to bad of a swap, just time consuming like any other restoration!