Sitting on dead boat, need some help!

gsxr150

Seaman
Ok, I'm at the dock, but here's the deal. I shut my 06 larson off in gear while beaching it today. Now it won't start. I don't get the warning beeps or anything. I've played with the throttle, checked fuses, tested battery, but nothing! Is there a nuetral switch or something that I scewed up by shutting off in gear? Volvo penta 5.0 mpi.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Sitting on dead boat, need some help!

Most do have a neutral safety switch. try moving the shifter back and forth....
If not, hot wire the switch and see what you get.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, if your boat won't do anything you've probably still got it in gear... if this is the case we promise not to tell anybody about it!:D

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Get a remote starter switch and connect it to the starter,battery and a groung and see if it will start that way that will tell you if you screwed the poch on the throttle safety switch.

ac0j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

get your prop out of the sand, put it in neutral and try it again

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

When you say nothing do you mean it doesn't turn over ? if so try make sure the lanyard switch is in the ON position! also try the circuit breaker (red button ) in the engine compartment then if that doesn't work start testing current to your ignition switch for amps should be a purple wire.

And thats why my neibhor put a neutral bypass button in. he wired it in a Parallel cirucuit so if he has a problem like you do he can just push the button. and start the motor.

gsxr150

Seaman

Ugh! Still no luck, so its covered and done for the night. I screwed the pooch by shutting off in nuetral. No beep, no nothing. I tired everything other than a bypass. I will drop off at marina tomorrow. After a good jetski tow. Lol. Thanks guys!!!

Do like i sayed it will help you from this problem happing ever again.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just connect the two wires on the neutral switch????? complete the circuit, therefore bypassing the switch...
That would get you running, and take all of 5 minutes.....
Get a new switch Asap.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

And thats why my neibhor put a neutral bypass button in. he wired it in a Parallel cirucuit so if he has a problem like you do he can just push the button. and start the motor.

So now he can start it in gear? Hey, that's cool, why didn't the manufacturer think of that?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you have likely got the drive in gear.... turn the key to the start position and move the shifter handle back and forth while holding the key to start.... it may just save you a repair bill

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

cutting a boat off in gear does no harm to the ignition system whatsoever.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

:facepalm: :facepalm:

gsxr150

Seaman

You know what's bugging me about this whole situation, is that I had no trim either. Again, battery was good after checking. Turn the key to left, and radio came on just fine. As did blower, horn, lights etc... But no trim or starting obviously. Wouldn't your trim work all the time despite the nuetral sensor? I only checked the fuses by the negative and positive side of battery. Is there another fuse for the trim? And maybe starter? Again, not sure how I would have blown a fuse but...

Fed

Commander

15 posts and to be honest I'm not 100% sure if it won't crank or won't start.

gsxr150

Seaman

Crud, I'm sorry. It won't crank. No trim, no crank...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Crud, I'm sorry. It won't crank. No trim, no crank...

that's a horse of a different color. No crank, no click at the starter solonoid?

On many outboards, there is one 20A fuse in the motor cowl that covers the starter and the trim. if it blows while you are underway, to won't know it by the motor, although you may lose some guages, too.
So I don't know inboards, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a fuse not in the fuse block that got you. On an OB, you run a jumper cable from battery POS to the starter with the key on, and it starts.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

that's a horse of a different color. No crank, no click at the starter solonoid?

On many outboards, there is one 20A fuse in the motor cowl that covers the starter and the trim. if it blows while you are underway, to won't know it by the motor, although you may lose some guages, too.
So I don't know inboards, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a fuse not in the fuse block that got you. On an OB, you run a jumper cable from battery POS to the starter with the key on, and it starts.

but his is a 5.0 volvo, very last part of post #1.

only MPI volvo I've looked at was an 07 bayliner and it had fuses all over under the bonnet.