2000 Fitch 225 thermostat housing breaks

tbroush

Cadet
Ok today on the way out the starboard thermostat cover broke in have, I was still on the river and not in saltwater yet so I limp it back to the marine about a mile away. I went ahead and change the cover and started the engine while still at the marina and so far so good.

So we went out got on plane with the engine running good for about 10 minutes and all of the sudden the engine started acting weird so I slow down then the engine light came on and the engine shuts off. So I got the boat towed back to the marina and when I got there it had been about 30 minutes since the engine shut down, so I try starting the engine to see if it would and it would not, it was turning like it had not battery power.

I know without the engine code it might be hard to determine the issue but I was wondering if anyone had something similar happen, at first I was thinking it was the EMM issue but since it did not start at the marina I don't know if that is the case. I will be going to the marina tomorrow to get the codes. Any help will be appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Fitch 225 thermostat housing breaks

If the check engine lite came on you could have water in your fuel. Check the filter on the mtr and also the water seperator in the boat if you have one.

tbroush

Cadet

If the check engine lite came on you could have water in your fuel. Check the filter on the mtr and also the water seperator in the boat if you have one.

Well the code was 37 water in fuel - in the electrical switch. I had a feeling it was related to the sensor that sits above the fuel filter since two weeks ago I switch the fuel filter and when I took off the sensor it seem that I had broken off one of the two needles. The mechanic at the marina checked the fuel and there was no water at all and he said that more than likely the sensor malfuction since it only had one working needle on it which makes sense. I will order a new sensor and go from there.

tbroush

Cadet

By the way after changing the sensor should the code in the computer just go away? I have the diagnostic software but I did not see anywhere that allows you to clear hard codes?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It may just go away. Try it and see what happens. If the lite goes off, the code still may be stored in the EMM along with the hour it happened.