Evinrude 5hp - conversion from long to short shaft

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Dear ol' dad has given his grandson a great-running 1985 5hp long shaft motor that he used to have on a sailboat. My son and I would like to convert it to a short shaft motor to better fit on a project sea flea we are contemplating.

Any info would be appreciated on if and how this can be done. Am I simply looking to remove a section of the drive shaft housing? Motor is not here at home so I can't easily check to see how the lower end is assembled.

Any help would be appreciated.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: Evinrude 5hp - conversion from long to short shaft

i think ist to atache some piece of wood to boat transom and after mount the motor.
short staft is to transom<38-43> long<45 54> cm

to convert you need to cut of 5" of drive shaft and shift rod

jasper60103

Commander

Have no idea what your project is, but I would consider adding a jack plate before converting the motor.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Ah - hadn't thought of the jack plate idea. Thanks guys. I was hoping perhaps a lower end swap of some kind might be feasible but good to have a reminder that there's more than one way to skin a cat...

jasper - this is a sea flea...

SeaFlea.jpg

The one I had when I was a kid was powered by a Merc 7.5 and it went like stink. 5 hp should be plenty of grunt for a young kid's toy (no sireee....dad won't be using it at all......well.....maybe a test run or two....:D