Cooling - water spitting

Jefro573

Seaman
Hello, its been a while for me but getting back into it. I have a 1998 Force 120 HP. Not sure how many hours r on it. I bought a new thermostat and it only spits a steady stream when I push the throttle? Is that normal? Shouldn't it spit a steady stream at an idle? It spit a steady stream at an idle without he thermostat in it. I only ran it a short time without the thermostat. It's a 130 degree thermostat.

Next is to replace the impeller? Will that solve it?

Thank you,
Jon

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Cooling - water spitting

No, spitting is normal. Most goes out at the prop. Steady stream will come out the telltale when you install one.

Jefro573

Seaman

Is the telltale the little hole thats connected to the tube that comes from where the thermostat is housed? If so, this is what i am referring to where the water is spitting or not spitting.

Thanks,
Jon

foodfisher

Captain

Description sounds right. So now the probs could be impeller or spotty water supply. (muffs?) Mine is a steady stream that shoots further with increased rpms

Last edited:

Jefro573

Seaman

Ok, thank you. Yes it was muffs with the hose garden on. I am going to replace the impeller this weekend, not sure the last time it was done. Cant hurt right? :)

I just wanted to make sure it should spit a steady stream at an idle and then like you said spit farther as the rpm's increase.

But I dont understand is with the thermostat out, it spit a steady stream at an idle and then with a new thermostat in, it doesnt spit a steady stream at an idle, and the only varible I changed was the new/missing thermostat itself?

foodfisher

Captain

Don't know the internal water flow of the engine. There have been a few posts describing this. Try a search in this forum.

buzzbomber

Seaman Apprentice

Have the same engine, i'd test the stat.. just put in a pot of water on the stove at 130 should be fully open.

Then if stat is good change the impeller. might be easier to just change both out.

I was getting spitting out the tell tale back in march, pretty important to fix if you plan to idle much as you may run a little hot.

After changing out the impeller had a steady stream.

Jefro573

Seaman

Ok I will test the stat. I tested the old one last night and it worked. I just found out about the test after i already installed the new one. Ill test the new one tonight and see if it opens up.

Thank you all for your help. I will know more after this weekend after i replace the impeller and test the new stat.

Jon

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

replace the water impeller will solve the problem. I once got the same problem as yours.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could also look at replacing the seal that goes between the water pump and the water uptake tube to the engine. Not very expensive and may give you a better seal. Replace the gaskets on the water pump as well to prevent air being sicked into the pump.

#32 in this diagram. Tube seal. #24 & #28 Water pump Base Gaskets.
http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/2531_170.cfm

Jefro573

Seaman

Ok thank you very much. I have an impeller kit with the gaskets so I will just go ahead and get the seal that goes between the water pump and intake as you mention and replace it all at once. Can't hurt right?

Thanks,
Jon

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

i have the same motor as you and had the same issue, I replaced the thermostat with a 118 degree one and it spits a little stream at idle now. I replaced impeller thinking the same thing but had the same issue until i changed to the 118 degree one. just my 2 cents..

Jefro573

Seaman

Thank you all for your help. I replaced the impeller and it spits a stream at idle...although in gear. Have to take off the lower end again and get it on right...wont go in neutral...propellar always turns no matter what.

Furyman...I didnt know they made a 118 thermostat for our engine...my I ask where you bought it from? All I could find was 130 degree ones.

Thanks,
Jon

Jefro573

Seaman

THANK YOU ALL!!! I was able to align the shift shaft following the advice from furyman, thank you furyman. The engine goes in all gears as it should. I also replaced the gaskets in the carbs and now I have an engine idling at about 600 - 700 rpm spitting a stream of water at idle and sounding quite nice. I just want to thank all of you again for your ideas and help.

Jon

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

great glad to hear its all back and running REAL good if its spitting at 700rpms.

Jefro573

Seaman

Yes I have been very fortunate. All it needs is a battery, renew the registration and a couple of seats and it's ready for the water.