87 blak max 150 xr2

88skeeter

Cadet
I have a 87 black max xr2 150 hp. 1988 skeeter 175D. My problem is when you advance from idle to wide open about 2200 rpm it feels like the motor loses power and stops building rpms and stop trying to get on plane. When I have a friend go to the bow it starts slowly rpms rise and gets up to plane. And goes 53 mph at 5600 rpm and runs great. Also the water temp is just before the hot mark on the temp gauge at wot and dosen't seem to come down. The water pump, thermostats,fuel pump and fuel filter have been changed. Has a good stream of water out the cooling system. I thought it was the prop but changed it from a 23 pitch 3 blade to a 4 blade 21 pitch, not much changed happen. Comes on plane a little quicker but seems around 2200 rpm to stop building power and rpm no matter what you do with the trim. Running out of ideas. Also my volt gauge sticks around 12 volts while running at any rpm. I don't think it's charging also. I have been reading that the strator goes bad and could cause all these issues. Also when in netrual and reving up motor semms to have no issues

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 87 blak max 150 xr2

In neutral, it'll rev to the moon on 3 cylinders. (no load)

Check the rectifier using this procedure.

Small Rectifier Test

While it's disconnected, tape off the yellow wires and try the engine out.

Logic --> It's possible for a shorted rectifier to drain enough from the rest of the stator circuits to cause a slightly weak ignition system to balk under load.

hope it helps
John