boat hp limits

wolfe1974

Seaman
hello,

I was just wondering who determines the safe hp limit on a particular boat. the reason I ask is when I was at the lake the other day it seemed like the hp limits are all over the place even though the boats are relativily the same size. so i guess what i am asking is why can a 18-19ft bass boat have a 200 plus and the same size bowrider be limited to a 150. It would seem the the deep v would allow more hp not less than a bass boat. just a courious question. thanks

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: boat hp limits

hello,

I was just wondering who determines the safe hp limit on a particular boat. the reason I ask is when I was at the lake the other day it seemed like the hp limits are all over the place even though the boats are relativily the same size. so i guess what i am asking is why can a 18-19ft bass boat have a 200 plus and the same size bowrider be limited to a 150. It would seem the the deep v would allow more hp not less than a bass boat. just a courious question. thanks

It isn't based on size... The design of the hull is what dictates it. (my boat is 16.5 ft, and the smallest it came from the factory was a 175, largest was a 240 optimax) Look at jet skis for an extreme example, some of those are 200+ hp.