Where to buy plastic brake line kit?

LX Kid

Ensign
Of course I know that iBoats sells kits but they are a little more than I want to spend. I was surfing the web yesterday and found a fit for $29.95 but failed to book mark the site. Has anyone else bought a kit for that price or seen a site that sells them for that price? Thanks from Mr. "CHEAPO"

57crestliner

Seaman
Re: Where to buy plastic brake line kit?

Well, plastic brake lines sounds bad. And, did you check history in your browser?

NYBo

Admiral

PLASTIC brake lines?!?:eek:

G

Dido NYBo :eek: I have the new rubber lines on my tandem trailer with disc brakes (from Overtons) and they work just fine :D

LX Kid

Ensign

Well, plastic brake lines sounds bad. And, did you check history in your browser?

The current failed line, 3/16" 500psi Parflex N, have worked just find since 1991 until the UV ruined the line were it came out of the coupler.

oldjeep

Admiral

The current failed line, 3/16" 500psi Parflex N, have worked just find since 1991 until the UV ruined the line were it came out of the coupler.

Stuff I posted is 3/16 1900psi, so that should work fine for you.

NYBo

Admiral

Stuff I posted is 3/16 1900psi, so that should work fine for you.
Except for the "Not for street use" notation in the ad.

And those are nylon, not plastic.:redface:

oldjeep

Admiral

Except for the "Not for street use" notation in the ad.

And those are nylon, not plastic.:redface:

LOL - nylon is plastic. I wouldn't worry too much about the not for street use, they mean on a motor vehicle. Not sure about small cars/trucks but its illegal to use compression fittings on brake lines for big trucks - therefore not leagal for street use.

NYBo

Admiral

Compression fittings are a bad idea in ANY brake lines; not sure about the legality in smaller vehicles, but they are likely illegal. I don't see cheaping out on brakes, though. Spend a few more dollars to do it it safely and legally.

oldjeep

Admiral

Compression fittings are a bad idea in ANY brake lines; not sure about the legality in smaller vehicles, but they are likely illegal. I don't see cheaping out on brakes, though. Spend a few more dollars to do it it safely and legally.

They don't run them in race cars because they are cheap - its because they survive better than metal, and they've been around for a long time. I wouldn't use them in my street cars for legal reasons, but wouldn't have any issue with them on a trailer or one of my jeeps.

NYBo

Admiral

If they're not DOT-approved you can't legally use them on the road, period.

LX Kid

Ensign

Ok guys! I'll "splurge" $20 or $30 more for some better brake lines. Maybe what I saw was a brake flush kit and not a brake line kit. They probably don't even make the plastic brake lines anymore. If anyone wants to see my efforts for the rehab you can go to this link, down at the bottom. So far I have about $1600 in this $500 trailer I bought last week.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=275835&page=19

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you replacing the line from the surge brake cylinder to the steel line that feeds back to the axle? If you are go to an auto parts store and buy a rear brake hose with the correct fittings. $10-$20 max. , a savings of $9-$19.

LX Kid

Ensign

Are you replacing the line from the surge brake cylinder to the steel line that feeds back to the axle? If you are go to an auto parts store and buy a rear brake hose with the correct fittings. $10-$20 max. , a savings of $9-$19.

Yes everything is being replaced form the axle stubs out, or should I say has now already been replaced. Now I need new brake lines from the new hydraulic cuopler to the new brake assemblies. The trailer is used in salt water so I don't want to use steel lines.