rust on trailer indictive of owner boat neglect ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: rust on trailer indictive of owner boat neglect ?

Nothing I wouldn?t expect to see on a "freshwater" boat and trailer used in or around saltwater.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Take another look at the outdrive picture - there is rust staining just above the AV plate and a trail down from the water intake ports.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Take another look at the outdrive picture - there is rust staining just above the AV plate and a trail down from the water intake ports.

What do you think that indicates?

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Tells me that the seller did not flush the motor every time or there would not be that kind of rust. I would walk on this one.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

What do you think that indicates?

Same as mentioned above about the staining under the drive. Fiberglass and aluminum do not runst, so it came from somewhere with iron.

Internal deterioration of the engine and manifolds.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Internal deterioration of the engine and manifolds.

Yup. I just wanted someone else to say it.

It was mentioned that the manifolds are maintenance items and that they are part of the routine maintenance when a boat is used in salt water especially. That is fine. Replacing an engine block due to corrosion is not fine or expected. This boat is not even 4 seasons old at this point.

What is the expected life span for manifolds used in salt water when properly flushed? What if they are not flushed?

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to pass on the Monterey. Just too much concern on the rust and not 100% resolute to buying it from all the inputs.

Looks like Larson will be the one. Attach is the motor pic. Looking at the engine compartment it looks like this boat has "closed cooling". Can someone confirm the barrell looking thing on the right hand side of the picture. This is a bad pic, I know...cell phone. The owner thought it was open cooling but he didn't seem to know too much about boats.

I spoke with the owner in length and he seem like a straight shooter. Older gentlemen hitting hard times, need $ to pay the bills. One thing that struck me during our conversation is this. He said he bought the boat in Montana new and they have like this ONE "lifetime?" boat license deal. He moved to a different state and never changed the plates. The boat has MT boat ID or whatever you call it. He has new season stickers for the last 3 seasons. Trailer has MT plates. I guess he was just lucky that the trooper never pulled him over.

Attachments

• 0226091412c.jpg
    0226091412c.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0

superpop

That canister is the remote oil filter. If this was FWC then you would have a large round tube around 5 inches in diameter and 20" long in front of the motor. Cant tell this from that pic. I would guess it is RWC though.

superpop

On closer look it is the Raw Water Cooled motor. FWC does not have the blue flush hose on the side.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

Take a look at the outdrive pictures. I hope it's the same drive as on the monty. It looks brownish...hope it's just the bad cell camera picture. What are the drive options for the 5.0gxi motor?

Attachments

• 0226091404a.jpg
    0226091404a.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0226091404b.jpg
    0226091404b.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0

superpop

I would get it switched to WA as soon as you buy it. Oregon does not care as much since they do not have a sales tax but if you are pulled over with an out of state boat on washington waters or by the State Patrol and you do not have an ID that matches with the plates that sends up big red flags with the cops and the revenue man in WA does not like tax dodgers. I think the fine is like twice the sales tax owed if it is determined that you knowingly did not pay sales tax and tabs. You need them for the boat and the trailer. Total you are looking at around 250 bucks a year plus 9% on whatever you are paying for the boat the first time you register it since that is when they collect the sales tax. Also, don't forget to get insurance on the boat before you even hitch it up to your tow vehicle. Other than that, get the mechanicals checked out and then go have some fun.

superpop

That drive looks brand new. It is the Volvo SX drive, best you can get other than the Volvo Duoprop.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

Got to find that boat insurance thread and see what everyone's using. I recalled speaking to Safeco about the boat insurance and they said I was covered as long as it was attached to my Truck during towing? If so I will have to TOW it home then call the boat insurance...

Superpop,
Thanks for confirming the outdrive. I can't tell from the grainy pictures.

superpop

If this guy is getting out of boating then see if he will throw in all the stuff that he has such as dock lines, PFD's, bumpers, anything that he does not need now. This will save you a very expensive trip to boaters world.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

That boat looks pretty clean, the real tell tale will be in a good long sea test. Take along someone knowledgeable about boats and motors if your not.
A marine survey is a good idea, but you can spend a lot of money on a lot of surveys finding a perfect used boat. A buddy of mine went through probably a dozen surveys before he found a boat that passed their inspection in his price range. He probably spent as much on all the boat surveys as he did the boat, maybe more.
(I bought one of the boats that the surveyor failed, yes it needed a motor but I got it right).

I found this statement interesting. I have had 2 boats surveyed- the surveyor simply provided a full, complete report of everything he found, both good and bad, along with his estimate of the $$ value of the boat. The rest was up to me. I've never heard of a surveyor "failing" a boat. That isn't his job.

reelfishin

Captain

I found this statement interesting. I have had 2 boats surveyed- the surveyor simply provided a full, complete report of everything he found, both good and bad, along with his estimate of the $$ value of the boat. The rest was up to me. I've never heard of a surveyor "failing" a boat. That isn't his job.
What I meant by "failing" the boat was that the repairs needed by the surveyors estimate far exeeded what he thought the boat or deal was worth. In other words, he found something that killed the deal. Yes, he found problems that were there that maybe the average guy wouldn't, but the one boat I bought turned out to be just fine after a motor swap. It looked to me like he condemned the motor mainly since it was older. The only boat that come out with a clean bill of health was near new, with a brand new motor, and at that he found fault with the install, which he noted as an optional repair or need for an on the motor tilt function which was not installed for some reason. It wasn't my purchase, so the outcome and expense weren't mine to deal with. The boat I bought got really cheap after he condemned the motor. (I resealed the lower unit, installed two head gaskets and 4 fresh plugs and a decarb and it's been fine for 2 years now). He wrote that "the motor was old and in need of extensive repairs far exceeding the value of the motor". The motor is a 1996 Evinrude V4. He also wrote that the boats finish was badly degraded, may need refinishing, and that the boat showed signs of saltwater use. I thought that a bit odd since the boat as docked in saltwater when he examined it. He was probably right in that it was not the right boat for the buyer at hand, but his report dropped the price on that boat to near nothing which set me up to buy it real right. I since sold it for a pretty good profit over the winter, after keeping the motor and hanging an older motor of the same hp.