Seacast Transom Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Seacast Transom Repair

Have you used the SEARCH function? We have many threads and a few stickies regarding Seacast

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We have had a number of members on here us it or one of it's competitors (Nidabond, Arjay) and have been very pleased.

I my opinion, it is great for one specific scenario: a boat with a rotted transom that is in otherwise great condition that you don't want to be tearing up. If the boat needs other work like deck and stringers, in my opinion you may as well pull the cap on the thing and put in a properly sealed plywood transom.

haulnazz15

Captain

I used it with great results. Repaired a rotten transom on an otherwise perfect condition runabout. Lot's of prep work, but the actual application of the SeaCast is pretty easy and doesn't take a lot of time.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Electric chainsaw and shop vac is actually the preferred method.

haulnazz15

Captain

I've always wondered about that. It seems like it would be quite a daunting task to get ALL the wood out of a transom when the only access you have is from the top.

It just depends on how you go about it. We removed the inner skin and ripped the wood out from there, do it was a lot easier to get the wood out. I actually used a router to cut up large sections of the wood since I could quickly chew through the wood and set a consistent depth to avoid going through the outside hull/skin.

robfurman

Seaman

It just depends on how you go about it. We removed the inner skin and ripped the wood out from there, do it was a lot easier to get the wood out. I actually used a router to cut up large sections of the wood since I could quickly chew through the wood and set a consistent depth to avoid going through the outside hull/skin.

thanks, but ripping off the inner skin would be way too much work on my old boat. It's a 72 Demcraft that has a raised section back by the stern.

Robert

You do not have to do more than remove the top of the transom in most cases. the removal of the wood sounds harder than it really is. Everyone that i have talked to said it was a mess but after that the rest of the repair was easy. The aim is to not cut more of the boat than you need to. You want to fix it not rebuild and refinish any more than you have to. Send pictures to transomrepair.net and they will help with advise for free and make sure that you do not do more than you need to.:D

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

We have had a number of members on here us it or one of it's competitors (Nidabond, Arjay) and have been very pleased.

I my opinion, it is great for one specific scenario: a boat with a rotted transom that is in otherwise great condition that you don't want to be tearing up. If the boat needs other work like deck and stringers, in my opinion you may as well pull the cap on the thing and put in a properly sealed plywood transom.

When I had my transom done I had them use a fiberglass composite called Coosa instead of plywood for the core. It is used in race boats and of course will never rot. See:

http://www.coosacomposites.com/availability.html

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Electric chainsaw and shop vac is actually the preferred method.

you must have missed this........this is the proper way to prep for a seacast transom.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This thread was dug up anyway. OP not back for over a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.