strange water discharge location

johhny o

Recruit
Have a 90 hp 1998 force, seems to run normal but noticed while running on earmuffs that small amount of water was coming from what looks like where shift rod enters the lower unit. Normal? Thought that water would only exit through exhaust and prop. Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: strange water discharge location

I would say this is abnormal it appears the leg is getting full of water.Thjis may be from excessive water pressure But may be a seal or water tube grommet.If allowed to contunue if the crank seal fails it could damage the powerhead.

johhny o

Recruit

Thank you, I have a lower unit seal kit. That would most likely correct this problem?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'll bet it is just water backing up in the leg, not coming from the lower unit.
This would be normal.

Mine often have water coming up out of the hole around the shift rod, but this is an unsealed area of the midsection, not the sealed lower unit.

So, is this where the exposed portion of the rod re-enters the midsection (leg)?

Or is this where the rod enters the lower unit - which can only be seen after you remove the gearcase from the leg?

johhny o

Recruit

The water comes from where the rod enters the midsection (visible while running on earmuffs), not where it would enter the lower unit as I mentioned in the first post. Thanks for saving me from re sealing the lower unit (for now). I'm headed to the bay ASAP