outboard popularity??

sbooy42

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has there been an increase in the popularity of outboards??

Just seems like around here,inland lakes N. MI, I've been seeing more outboards than normal..
And not just little boats. I've seen some very nice bigger boats that surprised me to see an outboard hanging off the back..

Just wondering:)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: outboard popularity??

Outboards, ya gotta love'm!!!

No torn bellows, no submerged engine when the bilge fills with water, and lots easier to work on.;)

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

^^^^^ + 1 , not to mention more space inside of the boat.... ;) :D

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Replace an engine in 1.5 hours, work on it while standing, 1 quart of lube vs. 5, higher revving, more dependable...

Someone used to have a signature line on here that read "Date an I/O, but marry an outboard". I understand the sentiment, but personally, I think there are deeper issues! :D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

also, outboards are becoming way more dependable than they used to be, and bigger. I remember when the new OMC 135 was HUGE. May have been the biggest stock motor at the time (c. 1972)? So they can now replace the big inboard.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

can you say 4 stroke! That alone is responsible for the huge popularity surge. No smell, no oil mess, QUIET...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup. Hard to beat the economy, clean emissions, quiet, no stink of a good 4 stroke outboard.

Except, well, unless you have an ETEC.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You mean like this?:D:D
366-06.jpg

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is my understanding that Four Winns dropped OBs off their runabout boats but just recently brought it back due to demand. Also, the dollar per horse in horsepower used to work against them but now is swinging back.

For me it was weight, cost, ease of maintenance.

Jh

raven7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Plus an OB is a lot easier to winterize.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

From what I understand, new emissions regulations is going to put the outboard and I/O price points closer together.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Could it be the fact that when they ship boat for OB's they can be powered how the customer wants istead of a choice of 2 I/O's