Evinrude Sportwin 3.3 Manual(s) needed

Evinrude_NooB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone.

I'm a newby in the outboard scene but love working on small antique motors; snow blowers, mopeds, et al. That being said, I just bought myself an Evinrude Sportwin. From searching around, it looks to be a 3.3 HP from the early 50's. I'm going to confirm this later when I get the serial and match it.

For all intent, the motor is complete. The pull cord/recoil cord has been ripped off from the handle but the cord is still on the recoil and I have the handle. If anyone know where I can purchase a new cord, I would much appreciate it. Also, it looks as though the knob for the carb adjustment is lost. I believe I can easily make a new one.

I'm going to start working on this little more soon. Ignore the wacky colors. The guy I bought this from told me that he spray painted it when he was 11 years old.

update: I've checked serial on the motor, 4423-85377. So this identifies it as a 1947-51 motor (4423). Not sure what the rest of the numbers mean yet. I thought I saw something on Johnsons regarding the rest.

Thank you for reading.

evinrude sportwin 3.3_1.jpg

Last edited:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude Sportwin 3.3 Manual(s) needed

The tune up guide may be slightly different. Although they look similar in appearance, the older 3.3 Sportwin is a much different critter than the 1952 and later Lightwin.
I don't even know if the 3.3 ever got the universal style ignition system, because during it's last year of production, the engineers were designing the newer JW/Lightwin to put on the market the following year. Evinrude discontinued the 3.3 Sportwin and Johnson discontinued the HD, in favor of the 3hp's. I heard the carbs on the 3.3's were a nightmare to work on too.

Evinrude_NooB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am hoping that the only issues are the missing carb adjustment knob and the broken pull cord. I think I can work around the broken pull cord in the interim for testing. I can probably make a crude carb adjustment knob. One curious thing, I don't see a pet-**** or any type of gas shut off valve anywhere. If I have time tonight, I will take off the side covers and check the plugs/wires/fuel lines.

I won't try any major overhaul unless I really have to and will need a manual.

The tune up guide may be slightly different. Although they look similar in appearance, the older 3.3 Sportwin is a much different critter than the 1952 and later Lightwin.
I don't even know if the 3.3 ever got the universal style ignition system, because during it's last year of production, the engineers were designing the newer JW/Lightwin to put on the market the following year. Evinrude discontinued the 3.3 Sportwin and Johnson discontinued the HD, in favor of the 3hp's. I heard the carbs on the 3.3's were a nightmare to work on too.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You might find the fuel shut off once you remove the side cowls.

Evinrude_NooB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup. I did. What I thought was the 'carb knob', was actually the petcock. I think that's an easy fix. Everything underneath looks super. The only bad thing was that it seems as though one of the plug was screwed in cross threaded. Luckily when I took it out, only the plug got a little stripped. Now I just need to buy a couple of new ones. There are even a bunch of shear pins under the covers, bonus.

So far, everything's looking so bright.

This weekend I'm going to check out a late 40's Neptune Mighty Mite. The picture looks horrible but the owner says it's 'running'. Hope I'm not hijacking my own thread with the 'Neptune' bit.:confused:

You might find the fuel shut off once you remove the side cowls.