Manual tilt question on 1975 evinrude 50 hp on crestliner stinger

chad913

Seaman
I have a 1975 amf crestliner stinger with the 50 hp evinrude and was wondering the correct hole to put the bar in for the tilt position? And it has hydrofoils, Whats the advantage to these and will they kill some speed? Thanks

emoney

Commander
Re: Manual tilt question on 1975 evinrude 50 hp on crestliner stinger

The "Great Hydrofoil Debate" is a can of worms that's probably best left un-opened. Tons of threads on here debating it's merits/dislike/etc., so hit the search button and make your own judgement. As for the trim 'hole', that's a little subjective to each boat and how it's loaded, etc. I'd start with it in the 2nd from the bottom hole and adjust from there. If it seems to take a little too long to get up on plane, then you need to move it to the bottom. If it gets up on plane quick, but seems a little on the sluggish side, then move it up one. You'll just need to try a few start and stops to get it where you like it. Be careful moving it in the water and don't let it fall to the bottom while you're experimenting. (and for what it's worth, I'm not a fan of the hydrofoils <duck>), good luck.

chad913

Seaman
Re: Manual tilt question on 1975 evinrude 50 hp on crestliner stinger

i took them off. I took it out the other day in the second hole and it seemed to plane pretty good just would raise alittle high when floored then it would plane.