Help me narrow down the zillion choices for a first board!

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I tried searching but had no luck:(

I'm 6' and 155, I'm athletic and I recently picked up wakeboarding on a friends board (dont recall the brand). I'm looking for something that is fun to ride/ I'll enjoy for some time. I dont think I need anything agressive. I'd like it if this board also could work for my sister, partner, and a few others all around the same weight range with up to size 12 feet. (too much to ask?)

-From what I can find I'l probably be looking at a 135-139" right?

-I see that a larger board they say is easier to get up on (naturally), I want keep the getting up part easy.

-I find I "slap" alot when going over big wake wake. Is this the board? or the rider:facepalm:?

-I understand bindings are everything, the ones I used were pretty easy in terms of snug/ secure but I think they could have been better. they laced up and were velcro.

-What about fins? they are only on the back side right?

What else am I missing? I start searching and it is overwhelming as their are so many choices and prices all over. I'd like to keep things under 250ish? but I'm flexable if it's something I'll be using for a long time. I even look at our own I boats store and am confused as the bindings are not represented evenly for all models.

Thanks!
-Chris

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Help me narrow down the zillion choices for a first board!

Fins are on both ends; you want to work the board both ways. A board with built in and removable is versatile as you can take the fins off to surface spin easier but fins help a lot with stability while you are learning edging.
'Slapping" is the rider. When you edge hard you cut through the waves. When the board is flat it slaps.
I would get a 139 ahead of a 135 for size just because of your height.
If you are athletic I would see if you could get a used or past year model of what they call a 'progressive' rocker board. Boards change fairly quickly so one that is a couple years old should be less than half it's new price. Bindings are more important than the board. Make sure they are comfortable and have some cushion under the foot that is not really soft. (To absorb landings)
Enjoy. :)

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to www.evo.com or www.the-house.com and go to their outlet page and you can get some killer deals. Or go to www.overtons.com and get one of their liquid force or hyperlite packages, they aren't too shabby either. I think LF has a "Trip" and some kind of bindings combo for about 250 and thats a decent set up.

I'd make sure you get one with molded fins and dont put in the center "optional" fin. Trust me you'll enjoy the "forgiving" nature of being able to slide the board.

And personnally i'd buy a 3 stage rocker, they claim theyre for advanced riders but even the novice riders and bring with me on occasion like it better because of how easy it is to get air.

gtochris

Thanks both of you for your help!

tgell001, What do you think of this one: http://www.the-house.com/wake-package-319.html

You lost me a little with the 3 stage rocket talk, what is that? And do you know if the one I selected has bolt on fins as you described? or molded on ones? I'm thinking molded. Any recomendations? if you like PM me if you dont want to share here.

-Chris

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will be very pleased with that board and binding set up. I've used those bindings before and a word of advice, buy them toward the small end of the sizing chart. My buddy has XL which is suppose to be 11-14 and i'm a 12 and theyre pretty big.

That board is a 3 stage rocker but "mellow" according to the desctription which should be perfect.

That board is like mine, has the two molded fins and the optional center screw in fin. I dont use the middle fins just because i'm pleased with the grip i guess using just the molded ones

Good deal too!

3 stage rocker basically described the shape of the board, a continuous rocker looks like a cracker, and a 3 stage looks more like a Pringle. this "u" shape make you pop really nice when you hit the wake but they tend to be a little slower from what i've read i guess. I haven't noticed any negatives when i switched only the increase in easy air.

gtochris

You will be very pleased with that board and binding set up. I've used those bindings before and a word of advice, buy them toward the small end of the sizing chart. My buddy has XL which is suppose to be 11-14 and i'm a 12 and theyre pretty big.

That board is a 3 stage rocker but "mellow" according to the desctription which should be perfect.

That board is like mine, has the two molded fins and the optional center screw in fin. I dont use the middle fins just because i'm pleased with the grip i guess using just the molded ones

Good deal too!

I ordered that one last night, cant wait to get it:D Thanks for the recommendation!

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

www.evo.com GREAT SERVICE!

LF TRIP is a pretty easy board, its a good enough board you won't out progress for a couple years.

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not you just have to get out there and ride. Wake to Wake!

gtochris

Well, I got it!
Tried to go out Tuesday night and didnt make it far before thunder had us running back:( We got out last night and I got up on the first shot! I only installed the "rear" fin, not sure if I should put the front one in too. I have my Right foot tailing at 90* and my Left foot leading at about 45* facing forward. The water was too rough- I got wiped out a few times! but got back up 4-5 of them right away. This board feels different than my friends, looking forward to heading out really early on a weekend morning to give it another shot. My dad who is a very fit 57yo gave it a try, I think he was treating it too much like solo skiing... I gave him a run on 2 skis so he could redeem himself:)

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's great! Sorry to hear the weather ran you off!!
As for the fins, you want both fins in or both fins out so that both the front and back of the board are on the same page. Play with your foot position to see what feels most comfortable on your knees and ankles. Typically your want your back foot pointing out some instead of straight ahead. Everyone is different though.

Have fun this weekend!

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to tell you what to do, its all personnal preference but....

45 degrees is WAY more than i'd ever consider for either foot. I ride 15 degrees in the front and 15 in the back. You're going to kill your knees riding like that (been there). Think about it like this....

When you go to jump the wake youre headed 90 degrees from the direction of boat travel with a handle in your hand. The boat is naturally going to try and square your shoulders 90 degrees from the direction of boat travel which works because the board is 90 degrees from the rope. If you have the bindings set up where your body is twisted forward then when you leave the water the boat is going to try and pull your shoulders square thus turning your whole body and board and youre going to eat it heel side. Look at this pic a see how square my shoulders are, not the best jump but it shows what i'm talking about 6.jpg

Plus the way your set up you'll only be able to jump in one direction. And use both or neither fins

After reading that back its really hard to understand with just words. haha. I hope this is some help.