94 bayliner capri 1700LS deck help

joemiller841

Recruit
im trying to repair a deck on my bayliner. I been reading but dont realy know where to start. Im in the middle of taking out the floor. but the middle is so rotten where would i get a templet from so when i replace it i wont have to ruin the wood and start over?

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 94 bayliner capri 1700LS deck help

im trying to repair a deck on my bayliner. I been reading but dont realy know where to start. Im in the middle of taking out the floor. but the middle is so rotten where would i get a templet from so when i replace it i wont have to ruin the wood and start over?

I'm almost at that point now..I have the new bulkheads in and the deck is next. I'm going to make a template out of a styrofoam sheet and lots of measuring. I'm fortunate in that the deck at the stern is only 4 feet wide..the same width as the styrofoam.
I considered measuring the width moving from stern to bow every 6 inches and marking it on the sheet of plywood after running a line up the middle of the sheet and may still do that.
As long as the edge of the plywood is touching the hull, mat and resin will hide my oops! :D

tmcdonough

Cadet

I used a sheet of 1/4 laun plywood for a templet. It's cheap and easy to cut.

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ended up using bristol board for a template. I measured a hundred times and cut it out leaving lots of extra wood.
I spent close to 4 hours sanding, trying it, sanding some more, trying it..here is the end result.

viewFile.html