Gas Tank Pickup or Sending Unit HELP?

tenderloin

Recruit
I have a 60 gallon tank for each engine. My right engine will run fine until i have a little less than 1/4 of a tank, then it starts acting fuel starved. I can add more fuel and it will run fine until i get to less than 1/4 tank. I know there is still approx. 10 gallons of fuel at least, as i siphoned it out before thinking it was a water problem, but it was not. I can just add fuel and the engine runs great (until less than 1/4 tank)

Where do i start?

UPDATE:

we all believe it is the pickup. I contacted my boat manufacturer to determin the tank dimesions. Well, as it turns out, the pickup is a 48" flexible hose that is placed in a groove, and they think it may have come out of the groove. They also said that it will be almost impossible to insure the hose is back in the groove. They sent me the tank specs, but the diagram doesnt show a small groove like they say. My pickup is located oin the rear of this 85" tank.

My question is, why not just cut the pickup hose to right above the depth of the tank? Is there a purpose for such a long pickup hose? i would think under load or trolling the bow would be up and all the gas towards the rear of the tank anyway?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gas Tank Pickup or Sending Unit HELP?

Pull the dip tube. The problem is not releated to the gauge or sending unit. The dip tube extends from the top of the tank to just off the bottom. Sometimes they break off or develop a crack. When fuel level drops below that level the engine starves for fuel.

tenderloin

Recruit
Re: Gas Tank Pickup or Sending Unit HELP?

Ok, that would be below where the fuel line attached to the tank correct? I was thinking it has to be something with the pickup, since it runs fine as long as you are above 1/4 tank. Will try that next time i am at the boat.