95' Horizon floor repair questions. -is oak the best home depot flooring?

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Right where the bow portion meets the wood floor near the ski looker there is rot... This happened because the way the flashing was screwed in and not sealed, and water was trapped in the bow fiberglass area and the flashing...

So there is a 3x3 section bad and some stringer rot.

I was going to cut out the bad section, and dig out the stringer rot...

Can i fill the stringer with a resin and maybe sister a piece of wood in... Maybe some CPES?5

Is oak good ply wood or should i just get some good no knot plywood at home depot? The oak is 44$ and i though i read that it was better....

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 95' Horizon floor repair questions. -is oak the best home depot flooring?

I just pulled out the interior and cut all the carpet i could out (the section under the bow rider area is only accesable by seperating the boat... (bad design there).

This is what i'm ordering for the floor instead of carpet... http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...n&i=73213&merchID=1006&r=view#pr-header-73213

All pieces the touch the ground will have the carpet removed and will be done in this tuff coat...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Oak Plywood is INTERIOR grade and NOT suitable for your boat. Use Ext. Grade Fir plywood or Underlayment plywood. DO NOT USE CPES. IT is Thinned down Epoxy and basically worthless. You should really post some pics of the problem area so that we can SEE what you can see. It is almost impossible to give a good diagnosis of your issue without SEEING it.

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

2011-07-12202247.jpg

2011-07-12202225.jpg

2011-07-12185240.jpg

the rotten stringer is there on the right where the circle cut out is... Will see it better when the wood is taken up. I'll take small samples to find where to cut...

Ok it was Birch...

2011-07-12154212.jpg

rickryder

Commander

WOW that looks familiar! Just did a resto like that..... The birch ply will delaminate in short order.... Go to your local lumber yard and ask for underlayment plywood....waterproof glue and no voids between the plys to trap moisture... You can also use CDX ext. ply....

Take some time and review my resto link in my signature.... It will give you some ideas on what your about to tackle ;)

I would bet your going to find other issues under the sole.....wet foam and more rot....Four Winns hulls are great but their stringer glassing (at least in my boat) was very poorly done...

Cut open the sole and take a core sample of the foam by pushing a piece of pipe into the foam and twisting...extract the foam plug from the pipe and squeeze it to see if it's wet...

Use a circular saw set at 5/8" depth to cut the access hole....Please use all the safety gear ;) A good respirator, goggles, tyvek suit ,gloves..... fiberglass dust is a killer on the lungs and itches like crazy:eek:

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright, i'll need to go to a lumber yard and not HD... I'll do that, ask for all of the above, CDX seems to be a reoccurring theme throughout the forums... i just didn't know what it meant :) while i was offshore i read alot of threads including all 45 pages of Jay's awesome post.. Now that i'm home with a good network, i'll watch the videos...

Thankfully, after pulling up the carpet and seeing how good all the other wood is really good... just need to repair the sole and the stringer.

With the stringer, i was thinking may be cutting the bad part out, splice in a new piece and sister another piece to it... Stop the rot, keep the strength and keep cost's down... I know some of y'all hate to hear that phrase keep costs down ;)

Thanks!
Jay

rickryder

Commander

What price would you put on the safety of your friends,family and yourself.....We rebuild our boats to make them safe on the water first and foremost.... as for pulling up the carpet and seeing how good the other wood is..... Boats rot from the bottom up.....dig deeper.

Your boats stringers are the structural support for your hull....They NEED to be sound....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Lowes's and HD carry Ext. Grade Plywood and Underlayment. RR is correct you need to dig deeper and do Core Samples. That ONE stringer is NOT the only issue!!!!;)

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

although im a noob to boat repair, i can tell you from what i have done on my re-decking, the home depot cdx is very poor quality. i purchased 4 sheets for mine and it warped horribly as it dried fully. from the best sheet i cut my stringers but doubled the 1/2 " ply laminating with pl glue. when i went to cut out the floor, i just couldnt bring myself to use the rest. i went to my local mom and pop lumber store and bought A/C exterior ply. it has 5 plys as opposed to the HD 4(careful, some is only 3 ply), has no warp to it at all, and havent seen a void yet. it was 29.00 as opposed to 17.00 but well worth it. much less flex. just my 2 cents

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will go to the lumber yard to get the best wood.

I just went to West Marine, bought some poly resin/hardener, mat, tap and odds n ends.

This boat, in the spot i found it rotting from the top down. I can see the most of the stringers from the bow area to the engine. And it all looks good, hit it with a hammer and it sounds solid compaired to the known bad spot.

I'll find where the rot ends and cut out extra put a new piece and glass it, then sister another piece in of extra strength.

Appreciate y'alls advice!
Jay

rickryder

Commander

To test for rot ya need to drill into it and look at the wood chips....bright clean dry is good....dark and damp is no good....the hammer tap test won't really tell you the truth.....

I'm just giving you the facts Bigike.....not trying to discourage you just educate :)

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have I given you anything to think i'm taking offense to what you've said??? Hope not, cause i didn't put that in any post.

I understand the way to check the wood just where do i stop? when do i call it good... And if it's not too bad (see rotten through and through) i'm going to fix this bad stuff and i'll save up for a full sole in a few years... They told me 5,000 does that seem too high?

I tried to sell it, thought 6,000 was a good price for a 24' 454'd even with the KING COBRA voodoo topdrive :) No hits... Athough JESUS himself emailed me and offered me the lordly sum of 3,500 HAHAHA Said no Senior, but thank you. :)

Should have stuck with the boat i wanted a Yamaha 230 ho jet boat... NO WOOD :)

Friday i'll get to the cutting when my BFFF come back from an overseas gig... He's good with the wood, so the ladies say.

Jay

Rumz

Cadet

I did a lot of research on the ply I used in mine. Best bang for the buck is Arauco Plywood, available at Depot & Lowes but you'll have to ask someone where it is. I have cut sheets into a variety of pieces large and small, never found any voids. Additionally, they use phenolic WBP Glue. An excerpt on glue -

The common WBP glues are melamine glue and phenolic glue . Generally speaking, WBP(ordinary melamine) plywood can be in boiling water for 4-8 hours without delamination and WBP(better melamine) plywood can be in boiling water for over 10 hours or even 20 hours without delamination . WBP (phenolic) plywood can be in boiling water for 24-72 hours without delamination . The best WBP(phenolic) glue can be regarded as permanent adhesives .But the water boiled proof period of plywood is depended on not only the quality of WBP glue, but also the craftsmanship of production .

19/32 was $36 a sheet. Look up their site for tech specs and craftsmanship reference.

rickryder

Commander

That's the thing with typing information and not speaking...... things get lost in the translation.... I never thought you took offence with anything I have posted.... It's just that I just finished a Four Winns Horizon resto and know what lurks under the sole..... mine didn't even have the amount of rot up top that you have and my stringers and bulkheads were toast.....plus about 300 lbs of wet saturated foam...... I guess all I'm saying is to really check it out well, so you have a safe reliable boat to enjoy.

As far as $5000 for a new sole..... I did all the wood and glass work on mine for about $2000..... I guess if you add the labor it could hit $5000+

I really hope all you need is a little patch work to make your boat right and the costs are minimal :)

I'm also here to help you out if need be ;) I'll shut up now :D

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

;) Absolutly no reason to shut up now!!!

And, what do i fill my exploration holes with? Is there a glue that i can buy that comes in a caulk tube like liquid nails? or do i have to make it all?

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

;) absolutly no reason to shut up now!!!

And, what do i fill my exploration holes with? Is there a glue that i can buy that comes in a caulk tube like liquid nails? Or do i have to make it all?

3m 5200.......

rickryder

Commander

Boatnut is spot on ! Fill any of your holes you drill with 5200.... You will be using that stuff on any of your penetrations in your new sole also....seat bolts,trim pump mounting etc etc

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So seat screws holes will need to be filled with 5200 then screwed into, and any through bolts will need to be filled and drilled?

rickryder

Commander

Yes sir.... You want to seal up any place water can get under the sole or through the hull .

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cleat wood? I thought oak... as we've discussed I though wrong :) should i get ceder 1x2's? Gonna head up to the lumber yard in Tomball to see about some marine plywood... The BFFF gets back from Venesuala we will get cracking on the sole... Crossing fingers on the rest of the floor...

How did you replace the wood under your bowrider section??? you have same style cap as i do, did you have to split the boat?