My Johnson motor not running

tundra2000

Cadet
wi3n0h.jpg

2dgs31f.jpg

2w4xmpj.jpg

2rgi0zm.jpg

my 1996 johnson v6 outboard motor won't start. on the 2nd pic theirs that piece that is broken and idk what its for, on the 3rd pic is what i think is the kill switch wire which is black/yellow and it leads to the 4th pic which is right under the arms for the 6 pack carbs, i tried disconnecting it but still no change, i pull the brown/blue off one of the coils and check for 12v with the key on and i get 3.0 volts i tried checking if any of the coils would create spark when cranking the motor but nothing, i'v clean only the ground under the cdi box cap. i also tried checking the stator but i don't know which wires to check to see if its good, their 8 wires that go from the stator to the cdi box 4 of them are brown/white and the other 4 are orange i think.
the motor will crank but no spark, its not a fast cranking because the battery doesn't hold a much of a charge so i have the battery charger on start when i crank it over. btw which way is the starter suppose to turn the flywheel, idk if its possible that the starter can crank it back words cus i had to pull the starter apart because the gear wouldn't engage and don't know if i might have mess something up.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My Johnson motor not running

Y don't you open the pics in "Paint" and draw an arrow to the places you are talking about? When you say "won't start" we don't know if you mean "turn the key and nothing happens" or "crank and no fire" or "weak crank" ....... you get the idea. do you know how to "jump the starter solinoid?"

You honestly posted a pic of a motor with the spark plugs disconnected and asked why it won't start?!?!?! maybe connect the plugs?????

tundra2000

Cadet

ok i updated post, yeah i know how to jump the starter solenoid too.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

not an expert but i know that the only reason the starter mtr would spin the flywheel the opposite direction is if it is connected reverse polarity. I also know that you need to have a strong charge on the battery, and I don't think that the charger would have enough amps to start that thing. basically the charger is not a substitute for the battery.

so you have it down to no spark on all cylinders? Again, not an expert, but that sounds like a bad stator. bad power pack will give you no spark on one side of the motor or the other, unless both pwr pks are bad. It has two right?

tundra2000

Cadet

yeah it has two packs, i only check the one side and it had 3v showing off the brown/blue wire

tundra2000

Cadet

but if the starter started turning the motor in the wrong direction would it still create a spark?

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

you need a spark gap tester to test the spark. It should jump ~7/16 inch with a bright blue spark. You test each cylinder. If its just one, COIL. If its just one bank, POWER PACK. If its all, STATOR. Good luck.

PS. I know nothing about using a voltometer to test spark.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

my guess is you would still get spark either way

tundra2000

Cadet

their's no spark at all, but i check the brown wires that go to the coil and they read anywhere from 1.2-3v and when i crank the motor over they read up to 50v, then i check the ohms for the coil and they read about .260, so are the coils bad and is it possible that all the coils are bad?