storage launch question

scr

Recruit
Hi, I am new to boating and have been considering many options. Inflatables seem like a good choice for me BUT I have what may be a strange question which may or may not have an obvious answer.

I assume most larger marinas allow you to store your boat at their facility on a trailer? Since I don't own a vehicle suitable to pull a trailer, my question is if it is possible to hand launch a ribbed inflatable with a large outboard (around 40hp)? By that I mean, to roll the trailer by hand and back it into the water.

Thanks for the help and sorry if these questions go to the stupid list...I have only ever owned a canoe.

crablegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: storage launch question

well you could probably get it down the ramp fine, but good luck rolling that thing up any sort of incline.

BonairII

Commander

I roll my 10' Sib(w/15hp outboard attached, trolling motor, marine battery, and gear) up a pretty steep incline with my DIY launch wheels.

saltycat

Cadet

Hi, I am new to boating and have been considering many options. Inflatables seem like a good choice for me BUT I have what may be a strange question which may or may not have an obvious answer.

I assume most larger marinas allow you to store your boat at their facility on a trailer? Since I don't own a vehicle suitable to pull a trailer, my question is if it is possible to hand launch a ribbed inflatable with a large outboard (around 40hp)? By that I mean, to roll the trailer by hand and back it into the water.

Thanks for the help and sorry if these questions go to the stupid list...I have only ever owned a canoe.
No your questions are not stupid just show that you are not very well informed.
Most of the marinas in my area where I live the monthly fees cover launching and retrieving the boat from the water so you do not need a trailer also but if you have space to store the boat at your house and save the money for storage any car can handle a RIB all you have to do is install a hitch or get an auto shop to do it for you and when it comes to pull the boat out of the water if you have an automatic transmission put the lever on 1 or 2 position, if you have a stick leave it on first gear

scr

Recruit

Thanks for the help. I am planning to move to Key West within the year and my goal is to do away with one or both of our cars since everything is close, which is why I asked the question. Since I posted my question I have found several makers of "dollies" and they appear as though they would work well for what I need.

Saltycat, you are right, I had no idea about how marinas function however, one of the reasons I was pretty set on the inflatable was so I wouldn't have to rent a slip. I suppose it would be best for me to contact the area marinas and check costs of renting a slip, storage, launch/retrieve, etc.

Again, thanks all, for your insight.

saltycat

Cadet

Thanks for the help. I am planning to move to Key West within the year and my goal is to do away with one or both of our cars since everything is close, which is why I asked the question. Since I posted my question I have found several makers of "dollies" and they appear as though they would work well for what I need.

Saltycat, you are right, I had no idea about how marinas function however, one of the reasons I was pretty set on the inflatable was so I wouldn't have to rent a slip. I suppose it would be best for me to contact the area marinas and check costs of renting a slip, storage, launch/retrieve, etc.

Again, thanks all, for your insight.

I don't want you to miss my point but a RIB in Key West is a waist of money actually I personally don't know way people spend so much money on this boats.
For a close amount you can get a regular boat and save for the sleep but reading your post again I thing that you are not referring to a RIB but a SIB so go back to the droning board and come back with whatever you think propperr

scr

Recruit

Saltycat,

If you have time, please tell me why a rib would be a bad choice for me. I just looked it up to understand the difference and my reason for the choice over a softer bottom was durability. You also said "get a regular boat and save for the sleep". I don't understand that.

Thanks

saltycat

Cadet

Hi, a RIB is a hard bottom as the name dictates and is just like a regular fiberglass boat with a big PVC or better hypalon tube around it they are expensive and you have to be very carefully not to puncture the tube and comparing to a SIB (soft bottom) especially in the keys where the water can be steps away all you have to do is to inflate it an toss it in the water so no marina fees and another thing having a regular boat in a marina you have to buy the gas from the marina that may be 1 or 2 dollars more per gallon and if you have a 2 stroke outboard they tend to be very thirty the new 4 stroke don't need too much gas but they are very heavy, so this is it just my opinion you have to take it from here do your home work and make the best decision you'll like it especially if you like scuba.
Wish you the best

saltycat

Cadet

Hi, a RIB is a hard bottom as the name dictates and is just like a regular fiberglass boat with a big PVC or better hypalon tube around it they are expensive and you have to be very carefully not to puncture the tube and comparing to a SIB (soft bottom) especially in the keys where the water can be steps away all you have to do is to inflate it an toss it in the water so no marina fees and another thing having a regular boat in a marina you have to buy the gas from the marina that may be 1 or 2 dollars more per gallon and if you have a 2 stroke outboard they tend to be very thirty the new 4 stroke don't need too much gas but they are very heavy, so this is it just my opinion you have to take it from here do your home work and make the best decision you'll like it in the Keys especially if you like scuba.
Wish you the best