1963 28 hp envinrude

moe 100

Cadet
i have a 1963 28 hp envinrude motor on my boat, brought it in to get carb rebuilt and adjusted. i brought it home and started first pull which was great , never done that before . loaded the boat and brought it to cottage. on the way road was very rough and even if motor was tied properly it was jumping all over the place. tried staring it when i got to camp but there was no way it was going . pulled the spark plug wire to see if there was a spark and (no), im new at this therfore were do i go from here. ..... lost soul ...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1963 28 hp envinrude

the only thing i can think of, is the mechanic, did not tighten down the points or connections under the flywheel. lets get some more opinions.

moe 100

Cadet

tashaddady, mechanic never did anything but re-built the carb. he didnt tuch anything else . i brought it home and started it up 1 shot . then when i brought it to camp . i was on a rough road and motor was bouncing all over the place . i tried starting it 40 times and finally check and there was no spark in both plugs . with all that bouncing around in back of boat i guess i must of distuebed something but what ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

No way the rough ride caused it, so don't be beating yourself over that. I have no way of knowing the condition of the carburetor before it was worked on, but it sounds like a classic case of fixing the carburetor when the real trouble lies elsewhere.

Whatever, since you have no spark the flywheel obviously has to come off to see what is wrong in there. Suddenly losing fire on both wires sounds like a sheared key, but let's not jump to conclusions again.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Does it have a kill switch/stop button?Could be bad or wires shorted. It's highly unlikely for both cylinders to be dead Unless something common to both failed.

jasper60103

Commander

Well, I wish I could help. I do have a 1962 Johnson 28hp motor myself and a MANUAL. If you need one, please don't PM me your email address asking for a copy. ;)

coolguy147

Commander

Well, I wish I could help. I do have a 1962 Johnson 28hp motor myself and a MANUAL. If you need one, please don't PM me your email address asking for a copy. ;)

do u just happened to have a 35hp model and 10hp mauel too man seriusly. i rememebr somebody pming me that they wanted to give ma manuel lol not sure if ti was u

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Do you have electric start with a remote key switch?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

does the motor have a kill switch on it. it sure sounds like a kill wire is grounded.

thought!! does the 63 have the mercury switch on the throttle linkage. could it have gotten broken?