1960 Ward 25hp 8835a, questions

GreenHornet763

Seaman Apprentice
To this date, I have owned only about 4 motors ranging for 6hp-25 all Tillers. This 8835a is my first non-tiller motor with controls. So, yesterday I picked up this motor since I have a 8834a (non electric and Tiller). My plans was that if I couldn't get the electric start motor to work, i'll use it as a spare for my 8834a tiller.

My question is do i need a control box to start the motor? ( it has 4 wire, i saw a power and ground. There was labels on the 1,2,3,4)

I'm hoping I can just attach the positive and ground to my marine battery and start it but it has no keys or anything to turn it? Any help is very appreciated for this noob :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1960 Ward 25hp 8835a, questions

I think you need to track down a Factory Service Manual, Hornet. It will have wiring diagrams, etc., and pay for itself many times over.

You can try here: www.outboardbooks.com and keep an eye on ebay.

Good luck. :)

Willyclay

Captain

I believe Gale Products Divison of OMC manufactured your motor for Ward. The link below will get you to a free online public library that has lots of stuff scanned but it is not "factory" manuals. I saw a wiring diagram in the Gale section that may help you although it includes the circuitry for a generator which you did not mention.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=393281

LOGIN as directed then drill down to: Small Engine, Marine/Boat Motors, Gale, "22, 25 & 28 HP" and Condensed Service Data. The wiring diagram is on the last page. Good luck with that great old motor!

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

To this date, I have owned only about 4 motors ranging for 6hp-25 all Tillers. This 8835a is my first non-tiller motor with controls. So, yesterday I picked up this motor since I have a 8834a (non electric and Tiller). My plans was that if I couldn't get the electric start motor to work, i'll use it as a spare for my 8834a tiller.

My question is do i need a control box to start the motor? ( it has 4 wire, i saw a power and ground. There was labels on the 1,2,3,4)

I'm hoping I can just attach the positive and ground to my marine battery and start it but it has no keys or anything to turn it? Any help is very appreciated for this noob :D

Well sure, momentarily touching the red and black cables to the battery will run the starter. Or you can always hand crank it. To wire it correctly takes the externally mounted solenoid box, cables, and push buttons. It doesn't use a key switch.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It would be more accurate to refer to your outboard as a Sea King, Hornet. That is the Brand name that M.Ward used for the outboards it marketed.