14 ft. Alumacraft Model Question

wilb3

Cadet
Here's a boat that I am interested in since hearing great things about Alumacraft boats. It's older, is a 14 footer with 48 inch width at widest point. No motor currently but anything one can tell me about it would be appreciated. Specifically guestimate of value, age, capacities, etc. I put it in the water and there were no visible leaks. I also managed to gather a series of 4 letters and numbers off the right hand side of a transom badge (A 12 4 665). Thanks.

Attachments

• Alumacraft 1.jpg
    Alumacraft 1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Alumacraft 2.jpg
    Alumacraft 2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: 14 ft. Alumacraft Model Question

Have seen many of those over the years. Solid boats. Don't recall the model but my best guess is early to mid 1960's. Hp. up to a 15hp, though some of those I believe were up to 25hp. But again not certain on that.

At the bottom of this forum list is a by manufacture list of forums. I would suggest looking through there as I know I've seen some of those posted there. Might find the info you're looking for!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We have almost that same boat:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/DSCF2577.jpg

It's rated for 15HP. It's very light so you can push it with just about anything. We actually run ours with just a 4HP which obviously won't plane it but moves us around surprisingly well. It's a pretty stable little boat. We've had three adults and a 3 year old in ours and it was fine.

wilb3

Cadet

We have almost that same boat:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/DSCF2577.jpg

It's rated for 15HP. It's very light so you can push it with just about anything. We actually run ours with just a 4HP which obviously won't plane it but moves us around surprisingly well. It's a pretty stable little boat. We've had three adults and a 3 year old in ours and it was fine.

Thanks ezmobee & bonzd. Ezmobee, yours looks nice and clean. Any suggestion on what to do to restore the original aluminum finish on mine?

wilb3

Cadet

Finally found the number near the transom- A2336. Already sent an email to Alumacraft.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Any suggestion on what to do to restore the original aluminum finish on mine?

A pressure washer and a half dozen boxes of Brillo pads would work wonders on that boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep. Pretty much just something abrasive and a good helping of elbow grease.

wilb3

Cadet

I appreciate the suggestion gents. I was told by my neighbor/boater that autopaint stores carry a stripper especially made for aluminum. My thoughts are that one of the previous owners of my boat used it for duck hunting and attempted to camouflage it. Some of the old paint scrapes off w/my fingernails.

wilb3

Cadet

I suppose pads and a power-washer would be most cost effective and easier on the respiratory system.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I appreciate the suggestion gents. I was told by my neighbor/boater that autopaint stores carry a stripper especially made for aluminum. My thoughts are that one of the previous owners of my boat used it for duck hunting and attempted to camouflage it. Some of the old paint scrapes off w/my fingernails.

I'm sorry I didn't realize it had paint on it. I thought it was just really dingy aluminum. A bunch of the Starcraft guys have been stripping their hulls lately and have had success with a number of chemical strippers. I think Citistrip is one that's been used with success.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I will second Citristrip! No noxious fumes and it can be used indoors or out. It smells like oranges.

I didn't realize your boat was painted either.

I'd pressure wash and scrub the boat first to remove the flakey and easily removed paint and use the stripper on the stubborn areas. Use a Turbo nozzle on the pressure washer, but if you don't have that nozzle use the 15 degree nozzle.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

+1 on above. We had an identical Starcraft boat with a brown 18 hp Johnson outboard. Both were 1956 models.

There are a bunch of the same boats on our lake @ 55 years old. Any boat that's lasted so long is a good value.

These are very light hulls, and a light 2 stroke outboard pushes them well. Our neighbor actually pulled children on 2 skis with a Johnson 9.9 hp motor. The same engine in a 15 hp version is a good engine for this boat. The 20 hp Merc. is also hard to beat.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice old rig, I like the vintage Alumacrafts.

Some new wood in the transom and benches and she will be like a brand new boat.

I like the Citristrip, it will kill you grass so don't spray it off with the hose. I used a shop-vac and rags to wipe off my old paint. Not as difficult as I thought it would be and even takes off multiple layers of paint and primer.

I think a 15hp Johnnyrude would be enough to plane that out nicely and run all day on 6 gallons.:)

wilb3

Cadet

I'm sorry I didn't realize it had paint on it. I thought it was just really dingy aluminum. A bunch of the Starcraft guys have been stripping their hulls lately and have had success with a number of chemical strippers. I think Citistrip is one that's been used with success.

I'll give it a try. Again, thanks for the tip!