U Joint Bellows Replacement/Trim question

firecapt13

Seaman
I have a 1992 4.3 mercruiser with a Alpha One Gen Two.

I am going to replace the u joints and the bellows. I have a vibration in the joints and they are a little stiff in on place. I have greased them and am ready to replace them. I also know my bellows has a hole in it. I can also see bare wires on the trim switch on the outdrive, trim will only come up with trailer switch.

My question is what other parts will I need or should I replace while there. and what special tools will I need besides alignment tool? I was reading i could replace joints with out removing entire shaft.

I am planning on ordering
1. U Joint bellows
2. shift cable bellows
3. exhaust bellows
4. u joints
5. trim switches

Thank you and I have learned alot here. I just want to get an idea of anything else I may need. I hate getting into a job and them having to wait for more parts

vandentr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: U Joint Bellows Replacement/Trim question

You really won't know for sure until you get in there. A pressure test to check the seals would probably be a good idea, especially if the upper seal is showing signs of wear after you yank the drive...

JWebber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will need outdrive housing gasket kit. Also I would replace water impeller while drive is off. As far as tools you will need alignment tool bar, hinge pin tool. Bellows glue adhiesive, maybe a new gimble bearing, (if you have a leak) which you do! a blind bearing pulling tool with slide hammer for pulling gimble bearing.
I would also replace outer water pick up tube hose. And more gear lube after all said and done!

firecapt13

Seaman

Ok i know I saw a thread on hear about replacing U joints without removing driveshaft. Can someone help me on this. I do not have the spanner and want to replace them without taking out shaft.

JWebber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can replace u joints with a u-joint removal rent tool, or buy one from HF.

firecapt13

Seaman

But wasnt there info somewhere on trimming a part on the retaining nut that holds driveshaft in place

brhodes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

gimble bearing, I don't have a gen 2, but if it's the same as a gen 1, then if you have water in the bellows, you can bet this is shot. Even if it's marginal, it makes sense to do it while you are in there. just my 0.02, good luck

firecapt13

Seaman

Ok got everything apart. that was easy. Put new gimbal bearing last year at start of season and with the water from bellows this year had to replace again. I put new gimbal bearing in. got all bellows on transom side. got the exhaust tube on the bell housing. Now i have 2 questions, what can you use to knock in the u joint bellow ring on the bell housing side. I do not have the mercruiser tool. the exhaust tube went on extremely easy, i was surprised

I also replaced the ujoints by grinding a little bit off the spanners on drive, but accidentally broke one of the ears off, is this a huge deal now? I dont think so but want an expert opinion.

Also on the TL switch the wires are broken. I took it apart and see that the wires are connected inside and it looks servicable. I am going to try to repair this one as I cant afford new ones right now. The TS switch is fine.

Any comments please post them thank you

NHGuy

Captain

If you broke off the end of a yoke it MUST be replaced or you'll snap it under load potentially tearing the drive bellows. This causes water to enter the boat at an alarming rate, which causes...sinking.
To put the drive bellows on the transom you shove it on with the bell housing which at this point has the aft end of the bellows already on it. ps. to get the clamps tightened up put them on exactly as detailed in the manual. You need a 1/4" drive long extension with a spring-flex end on it to get the clamp snug, then to finish torquing it when it's in it's correct place you can put on a universal joint end which transfers more twist.

firecapt13

Seaman

No i broke the spanner nut that holds the driveshaft in. I have the bellows on the transom, my question was when you put it on bell housing side how do you push ring in with out special tool, any homemade suggestions.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

first off you are only about half way done with your job

seeing as how there was water in the u-joint bellows, there is now water in your drive - it entered through the yoke shaft seal, which is now comprimised and will leak lube into the new bellows

you should remove the yoke shaft assy from the upper half and install a new seal, this way you wouldn't have had to grind your retainer to replace the u-joints, and you should also now replace the retainer

as far as installing the ring for the bellows, power tune and any mandrel that will fit to push it in will work, just make sure its seated evenly

firecapt13

Seaman

OK. finished job today. Went exceptionally well for my first time. I decided not to do trim switches due to cost and I do not even have a trim gauge in boat. Th limit switch was the one messed up with wires so I bypassed wires in boat so up switch will work. I will have to pay attention.

Only problem was in my tool cart after finishing I found a V-Ring, it looks similar to an oring about 1/ inch around but thicker and beveled on one side. I didnt pull anything out that resembeleb this and not sure if it was just something that was in cart and got moved around to my side where I was working.

Attachments

• IMAG0170.jpg
    IMAG0170.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0

tejastoolman

Seaman Apprentice

OK. finished job today. Went exceptionally well for my first time. I decided not to do trim switches due to cost and I do not even have a trim gauge in boat. Th limit switch was the one messed up with wires so I bypassed wires in boat so up switch will work. I will have to pay attention.

Only problem was in my tool cart after finishing I found a V-Ring, it looks similar to an oring about 1/ inch around but thicker and beveled on one side. I didnt pull anything out that resembeleb this and not sure if it was just something that was in cart and got moved around to my side where I was working.

ouch left over guts! I hate when that happens!