Total loss of privacy.. Google Latitude?

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Anyone seen this? http://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html It allows you to track friends or anyone with a smartphone in real time anywhere... The trackee has to agree to the program but once you apply, bam, your exact location is public domain to any open source web program... Freaky

..... or iFace for the iPhone? Take a picture of anyone, run it through the app and it uses all social networking sites to locate and identify the people in your picure...

Technology is gettin a lil intense.

Docknocker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Total loss of privacy.. Google Latitude?

Getting WAY to intense. Check out Google Street View in the Google Earth mapping program. They pay people to drive around with a 360* roof mounted camera on the car. I looked up my house, and my neighbor was apparently mowing his lawn as the camera car drove by - there he is, crystal clear if you zoom in. Beyond intense, getting scary - whats next?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sorry i am not applying. that was a map of Jacksonville. i live in the bottom right hand corner.
near the copy right emblem.

gonefishie

Commander

One day, Google will controls the world....all ya gotta do is turn the darn thing off. :rolleyes: There is another new product out right now, I forgot the name of it but it's endorsed by Les Stroud, the Survivorman dude. It doesn't rely on cell signal but gps satellite instead. Send out a signal and let your friend/family of your location anywhere in the world.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't have a cell that has GPS in it. I haven't posted my real picture anywhere on the net. Good luck trying to use that on me.
Since you cn control who gets to see it, I can see where parents might find this useful to track their children.

dolluper

Captain

Or employers....way around it is have a couple of phones ....your at work when your not .....get it has some advantages

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I have no issue with an employer providing a phone and tracking a WORKING employee, especially a driver or some sort. But it needs to be able to be turned off once the workday ends.

tashasdaddy

tacklewasher i agree with that. it also adds safety factor for the route man. ladies in real estate should consider one, part of there job can be meeting strangers in vacant houses. there has been many rape, abucted, and murdered.

angus63

Captain

Anyone seen this? http://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html It allows you to track friends or anyone with a smartphone in real time anywhere... The trackee has to agree to the program but once you apply, bam, your exact location is public domain to any open source web program... Freaky

..... or iFace for the iPhone? Take a picture of anyone, run it through the app and it uses all social networking sites to locate and identify the people in your picure...

Technology is gettin a lil intense.

Turns out George Orwell could predict the future better than Nostradamus!!! Check out the classic novel "1984" that was written in 1949 by Orwell. We are not far from his futurecast.

A while back my wife suggested inserting a Lojack device in my posterior in order to locate me back in the day when happy hour wasn't a nap in the recliner like it is today for me!!! She should of patented the idea!

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Turns out George Orwell could predict the future better than Nostradamus!!!
While that is a bit like saying an eagle can fish better than a cow, old Eric Blair was pretty good at reading people.

Check out the classic novel "1984" that was written in 1949 by Orwell. We are not far from his futurecast.

I always though Animal Farm was a better predictor of where our politicians were going, but enjoyed 1984. Read a bunch of Orwell in University as one English prof was a real fan of his. Made for an enjoyable course.

JB

Voluntary surrender of privacy is not the same thing as "loss" of privacy.

zach103

Commander

wait so if i type in my friends number i can fnd them?? or i type in my number so anyone can find me? its gettin nuts.. im almost 20 and i stll have a hard time with some of the technology i cant even imagine whats gunna happen whne im 80

JB

Hahaha. :)

Good luck, Zach.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Turns out George Orwell could predict the future better than Nostradamus!!! Check out the classic novel "1984" that was written in 1949 by Orwell. We are not far from his futurecast.

Flashback to 9th grade when I read the book (which was way way way before 1984) :eek:

wait so if i type in my friends number i can fnd them?? or i type in my number so anyone can find me? its gettin nuts.. im almost 20 and i stll have a hard time with some of the technology i cant even imagine whats gunna happen whne im 80

Don't worry Zach....... some machine will be making those decisions for you!