Marina launched my boat w/o plug!!!!

hnt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:mad:

Okay, here?s the story. I keep my Pursuit Denali 2460 at full service marina in Southeast CT, valet rack stored outside. As part of normal operating procedure, the marina removes the drain plug when they pull the boat and replaces it at launch (this is to keep the boats from filling with rain water and overstressing the rack).

As normal, I called the valet service phone number and asked that the boat be put in between 5:30pm and 6:00pm yesterday so I could take my wife and two young daughters for a ride. I arrived at the marina at 5:55pm and the buildings and office were closed up as it was after hours. I saw my boat had been launched and was tied up in a slip. So far so good.

As I approached the boat, I noticed it was sitting very low in the water and I knew there was a problem. The Bootstripe was under water. I jumped onboard, removed the mooring cover and saw that the rear of the deck was under about 1 inch of water. I opened the engine cover (Mercruiser 5.7 LX efi Bravo III) and the bilge was half full of water. Batteries starter, alternator, trim pump, trim tab pump all under water. There was also about 1 foot of water in the cabin.

I yelled to my wife, who was holding our 1.5 and 3 year old daughters to see if she could find someone while I tried to locate a pump. Two fellow boaters helped me untie the boat and we were going to beach her on the boat ramp to keep her from sinking. The batteries were dead and I couldn?t raise the drive. My wife caught the marina owners as they were leaving and he quickly got the forklift out of the locked storage building while I moved the boat back to the take out slip. (Water still rising quickly) We got the boat on the fork lift and raised it up and saw the problem.

NO PLUG!!!!!!!!!

So my boat was launched at the end of a long holiday weekend and I'm sure the marina staff were thinking about barbeques and fireworks and not about doing their job carefully. They were in a rush and just plain forgot to put the plug in. Nobody noticed the bilge pump discharge as the boat tried desperately to save herself at the dock while the workers scurried to close up shop. From what I was told she was launched around 4:45pm and if I came a few minutes later she would have been lost because the batteries were under water and the pumps not working when I arrived.

So this morning the marina is having their Mercruiser certified mechanic "make it all right". I am angry, frustrated and leery of the future problems that will emerge because of so much salt water in the bilge. So far the marina is very cooperative and has promised to make it right because of their mistake. At the very least, I expect a new starter, alternator, batteries, trim pump, trim tab pump etc. I also think that they should replace the gimbal bearing and u-joints on the drive and do a complete cleaning and corrosion treatment including all electrical connections. (The water reached about half way up the motor).

Has anyone else had experience with this much water in he bilge? What else should I expect them to do as part of "making it right"?

BTW I have not mentioned the name of the marina on purpose because I want to give them the chance to make good on their mistake. I hope to relay the name of the marina in the future with praise because of how well they handled the situation

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Marina launched my boat w/o plug!!!!

check the engine oil for contamination,include battery cables for replacement. all cable connections to be removed and cleaned,pull the drive to inspaect gimbal bearing and U joints.water that high definitely go into the bellows.

JWebber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That sucks!

hnt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just spoke to the marina manager. They have pulled the engine out and removed the drive and are cleaning and evaluating all systems. The head mechanic is going to call me soon to go over my concerns and talk about what to replace / repair. So far I am pleased with their response but we will see how it plays out.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds to me like they are doing all they can Damn they have the engine out by lunch on the 1st day, during the busy season. Like you said tho, you will have to see how it plays out....But kudos to them out of the gate anyhow IMO

mancho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That does really bite. I am gonna go out on a limb and say that you didn't get to spend the day on the boat?

So what does the marina say about compensating you for your lost memories with the family? I think a new boat is in order and they can sell your old one as slightly used. :)

hnt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mancho,

LOL, No boating for us this holiday.

As the boat was being pulled out my 3 year old tugged at my shorts and said "but Daddy, I want to go on the boat" and she started crying with her big baby blues eyes. This was in front of the marina owner and his wife. I said to myself under my breath "good girl".

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Well, things happen. The good news is you noticed before you got out in the middle of some big water! Be thankful your 3 yr old wasn't in the boat when you noticed something wasn't right. Sounds like they are owning up and doing the right thing

mancho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LMAO, nicely done daughter!

Keep us posted, and perhaps the story will end on a good note, as much as possible! Sounds like the marina owner is concerned ... and if they run their business like they want to be treated as marina customers, then you're golden.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Mancho,

LOL, No boating for us this holiday.

As the boat was being pulled out my 3 year old tugged at my shorts and said "but Daddy, I want to go on the boat" and she started crying with her big baby blues eyes. This was in front of the marina owner and his wife. I said to myself under my breath "good girl".

Thats good humor...You mayay have to put a little something extra in her xmas stocking this Xmas [ shame on me for talkinkig about winter in the middle of boatn'season, my bad]

hnt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I spoke to the head mechanic and learned some more.

I am getting a new starter, alternator, two new batteries, and a new Mercruiser lower wiring harness with senders. They have replaced all the lugs on all the battery cables. They have also replaced grounding straps and replaced all the terminals on any other wires that were under water.

They cleaned the bilge and sprayed Corrosion treatment on the engine, mounts and everything metal in the bilge. They checked the oil pan and all the hoses, steering etc. They pulled the drive and there was no water in the bellows, gimbal bearing, shift cable and u-joints all okay. No water in drive or engine oil. The water did not get as high as the spark plugs or ignition wires. In addition, the power trim pump and wiring, trim tab pump, fresh and raw water pumps, floscan sender, bilge blower, battery switch and battery charger were all above the water. Thank goodness all the efi stuff is located high on the engine too.

He said the biggest job is to replace the lower wiring harness and removing the engine gave him better access and allows him to really clean, corrosion treat, lube and check things over.

He invited me down to check the work being done and to see everything for myself. With luck he will have it back together for the weekend (depending on when he gets the wiring harness because he has all the other parts) and he will sea trial with me to look for any issues. In addition they will make good on any future issues that pop up related to the event.

I'm feeling pretty good about how they are handling it.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

In addition they will make good on any future issues that pop up related to the event.

I'm feeling pretty good about how they are handling it.

Im not trying to be critical, cuz it sounds like they have gone the distance , actually above and beyond, for good customer service. But how is it determined if a future problem is related to the near sinking or another reason, i mean, what if mgt/ownership of the marina turns over in 6 months, and a questionable issue arises ?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm not doubtring you, but surprised that the bilge pump couldn't keep up and that the water rose enough to short them out in little over an hour (or less). I guess the heavier boat will bring in more water faster; I had a bilge pump keep up with a plug out overnight (I didn't launch it) but a smaller boat. Thinking about all the other possible holes that size, would worry me about the typical bilge pump. But truthfully, they aren't made to handle flooding like that.

Your marina sounds top rate and the marina is lucky, too, that you are being reasonable. Accidents can happen in any business; it's how you own up to them that matters.

You don't say how old your boat is, but I wouldn't worry too much about the brief dunking beyond what they are doing. For one thing, lots of boats get dunked, raised, repaired and run on just fine--in my 40+ years of salt-water boating I've seen it too often including our own boats. Moreover, the boats are constantly exposed to salt air, which is just as bad as salt water itself, so in 10 years you will never know the difference, when you encounter a "salt problem" if it was natural or from this one brief event (I assume they hosed everything off right away--they don't rust until you bring them up!)

So while I don't blame you for being concerned, you will end up OK. Just talk to any waterman.

Your story reminds me of when my sister and BIL were boat shopping and came across a marina selling a 4-5 year old boat with a brand spanking new motor, cheap. I suspect it sank, was repowered and put up for sale off salvage.

hnt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as determining if future problems can be attributed to this event. I know this is very tough. I plan on being reasonable. I will document everything that was done and ask the marina to sign a statement that they were responsinble and ask them to list the things they did to repair the damage and put in writing their promise to take care of future problems associated with the mistake. There were several other marina customers there when the boat was hauled and they all saw what happened. I'm sure word will travel fast around the marina and everyone will be watching how this is handled. From what I have seen so far. I expect they will be more than reasonable. I don't think I can expect much more from them at this point.

I'm going to see the boat tomorrow evening to check out the progress.

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry to hear of the lost day. But you have a good looking future if all goes as it sounds. happy boating , in the future.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like a couple of reasonable people. The marina owner and you. Glad everything is going well. Mishaps happen. You seem to have a great attitude and it sounds like the marina owner deserves that. Hope everything keeps going well and you have a long and good relationship with this marina. Looking forward to reading the name and location.

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HNT

Have you considered your decking, floor stringers, and transom getting soaked. You might in the long run have wood rot starting from this event.

j_martin

Admiral

HNT

Have you considered your decking, floor stringers, and transom getting soaked. You might in the long run have wood rot starting from this event.

Any reasonably built boat shouldn't have trouble with that. They are able to take a wave now and then, and maybe some rain I hope.

Transom rot usually begins below the water line because of improper sealing of the drive cut or motor mounting bolts.