VRO update

kb3gup

Seaman Apprentice
Hello again,

After reading what others said about my super glued oil line I decided to fix it right. So here is what I discovered, I thought the leak was coming from the line on the cowling side of the filter, but after closer examination I found there to be oil on the line by the pump itself. I figured it wasn?t supposed to be there so I took the clamp off the line by the pump and left it alone. I'm not sure how long it will be until I get a new line so I didn't want to remove it from the pump until I'm ready to put the new one in. So on to my questions, I figured since the line is getting replaced, my best bet is to cut the old one off from the nipple on the pump; does anyone have any suggestions to make this easier? I'm not going to be able to start the motor until winter is over so I really will have no idea if I did everything right, but I don't think this is a very hard job, it's just very tight because the lower cowling isn?t off. Then I think all I have left to do is purge the air from the line. One more question, if there?s not supposed to be air in the oil or gas line, then when you replace the fuel filter wont that let air in? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. (1992 60hp VJ60TLENE)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VRO update

take the starter off it gives more room to work. when you pump the bulb up, it forces the air out.

are you doing away with the oil side if so the oil line needs to be plugged, so it does not suck air.

kb3gup

Seaman Apprentice

No I think I'm going to keep the VRO for now. I read a lot about it on this forum as well as other places, and it seems it just gets a bad rap from people. However if it does give me a little bit of trouble and it doesn't destroy the engine then it will go.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what motor do you have? if it is the 92 60 hp, it should have the newer OMS pump, not a VRO pump. the OMS is much more reliable than the VRO.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I think he would have a VRO2, TD; it was the last year they used them.

kb3gup

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it's a VRO2. I've never had any trouble with it. My friend has the same motor only a 91, his pump did go bad but the only thing it did was dump to much oil in, so the only real damage was fouled plugs. I can't help but wonder if some people whos VRO pumps did go bad was because of a kinked or leaky line.

Last edited:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I'm still using an original VRO2 on a 1988 140HP. My concern has always been the lines and making sure that they don't leak.

You have to be careful not to break the nipples when you take the lines off because you can't fix them. It is better to use a knife to split the line then twist it off carefully.

Here's a video link that might help, but you have to listen carefully a couple of times to get past the background noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEbW-6eOc5I

kb3gup

Seaman Apprentice

OK so I got my new oil line but it is slightly smaller and more flexible. Can I still use it? The line that?s on it is stamped 5/16, the new stuff has nothing on it but the guy at the boat store was sure it would work, I just want to make sure.

kb3gup

Seaman Apprentice

Ok well this line is real junk so I'm not going to use it. Can I just run down to pep boys and buy fuel hose and use that for oil? Or do I have to order marine grade hose?