mercruiser 140 hp wont start

rockme

Recruit
Default mercruiser 140 hp wont start

I have an old Tempest, i think it's around a 78 with a 140 hp inboard outboard, the outboard serial is 5360863 (Mercruiser) the engine serial is 543 7013 MCM 140 181 cid. It was working great for a couple of seasons, but this season had issues with my battery.
a friend of mine that said he knew boat (apparently not!!) decided to hook another battery directly to mine and a wire to my, I think its a shift interlock or something, started to smoke. I replaced it and now have no cranking whatsoever from my motor. all my lights work, the pump works and everything, just wont start.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know cars but this is my first time working with a boat.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercruiser 140 hp wont start

check if you have 12v at coil.he may have fried something.change points and condenser.a multimeter is a must to find where you have power or were guessing!

rockme

Recruit

I have a 12v test light showing power to the coil, I will check the condenser today And dig out my Multimeter :) thx for the advice

my86seville

Cadet

A lot of the time working with boats if nothing seems to work is the ground. make sur eyou have a good grd from the battery to the block and then ch the grd on the starbard side of block from wiring coming from dash panel.

rockme

Recruit

Thx for the drawings they help a lot. I will be checking everything through this week, and hope to find my problem.
Work always seems to get in the way of my boating time..lol
Thx guys..will let you know how i make out :D