Has anyone been sick from injesting....

yetiman

Seaman
Lake water? This past Saturday I took a spill while wake boarding and swallowed some lake water, following morning started getting sick. It's three days later and now I have a full on Bronchial infection that I can only blame on the water. wondering if anyone else has been sick from playing at the lake

harley31

Cadet
Re: Has anyone been sick from injesting....

Yes! Not me, but my buddy at work. I am a firefighter, and my buddy went into a river to retrieve a body. He ingested some river water. Long story short, he ended up with MAJOR sinus troubles. Several surgeries later, he lost his ability to smell. Check for viral infection before it gets any worse! Good luck.

harley31

Cadet

By the way. Is that Lake Travis? I married a girl from Pflugerville, Tx. We now reside in Delaware. Been to Pflugerville many times. We will retire to Austin in a few years and I look forward to boating on Lake Travis. Been boating on the lake once and went to have burgers at a restaurant on the lake. Good luck.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

If you are experiencing a fever , get to a doctor....you could end up with pneumonia if your lungs fill up with fluid...on top of whatever bug you picked up... don't fool around with this. A fever is an indication that you have some kind of infection. Your body tries to 'cook off ' whatever the bug is. You may need an antibiotic if you have a high-grade fever...usually over 100 degrees F . Let us know how you are doing bro...

yetiman

Seaman

By the way. Is that Lake Travis? I married a girl from Pflugerville, Tx. We now reside in Delaware. Been to Pflugerville many times. We will retire to Austin in a few years and I look forward to boating on Lake Travis. Been boating on the lake once and went to have burgers at a restaurant on the lake. Good luck.

Small world, it was actually in Lake Austin, Travis is 17-21ft below and it's down to two public ramps.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

^+1 with Stachi. No telling what you may have picked up. There's a couple of lakes around me that don't agree with me waterwise that I get reactions to.

yetiman

Seaman

If you are experiencing a fever , get to a doctor....you could end up with pneumonia if your lungs fill up with fluid...on top of whatever bug you picked up... don't fool around with this. A fever is an indication that you have some kind of infection. Your body tries to 'cook off ' whatever the bug is. You may need an antibiotic if you have a high-grade fever...usually over 100 degrees F . Let us know how you are doing bro...

Went this afternoon, started antibiotics already, thanks for the info Stachi

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I'm glad you sought professional help with this...it was the sensible thing to do. They may have prescribed an antibiotic to be safe,.. if it is virile , it has to run it's course...if it is bacterial , the antibiotic should solve it. My girlfreind is an emergency room doctor , with 26 yrs experience...you should hear some of the things she has told me ....

GMC2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was out on Lake Austin last Thursday, took a few nice spills, ingested some water, I felt/feel fine. Agreed about Lake Travis, I went up to Mansfield dam today, all I could see was islands and puddles of water. I'm pretty sure my water supply comes from Lake Austin/Travis. Hope you get to feelin' better.

yetiman

Seaman

Was out on Lake Austin last Thursday, took a few nice spills, ingested some water, I felt/feel fine. Agreed about Lake Travis, I went up to Mansfield dam today, all I could see was islands and puddles of water. I'm pretty sure my water supply comes from Lake Austin/Travis. Hope you get to feelin' better.

Yeah it feeds from Travis, where ya going for the 4th?

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not sure what kind of treatment the water gets, but here on Champlain, there are still hundreds of homes along the shore that get their water directly from the lake.

I don't drink it, but my boat is set up to pull lake water for my shower and galley sink for washing dishes.

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

NO WAY. lake im usually on is so clean i can see the bottom in 40 feet. ive been known when fishing is good and im hot with no more beverages to take a cup out of the lake and drink up. the beautys of spring fed clean lakes in the mountains

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good ole Beaver Fever! Have gotten sick many times, but usually it was from running 4 wheelers through some nasty swamps. Almost guaranteed to get sick after that trip. Can't say I've ever gotten if from lake water though. Get better soon, lots of summer left!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Lake water? This past Saturday I took a spill while wake boarding and swallowed some lake water, following morning started getting sick. It's three days later and now I have a full on Bronchial infection that I can only blame on the water. wondering if anyone else has been sick from playing at the lake

Yes, when I was 12. Came down with a severe case of Dysentery, vomiting blood and bloody diarrhea put me in the hospital for a week.

I seriously doubt that the lake water gave you bronchitis.

Did they test you, or just diagnose you from your symptoms? The reason I ask is because you might have Mycoplasma Pneumonia. I'm just getting over a bout of that crap and it's some nasty stuff, and you can only catch it from coming in contact with someone that has it.

NO WAY. lake im usually on is so clean i can see the bottom in 40 feet. ive been known when fishing is good and im hot with no more beverages to take a cup out of the lake and drink up. the beautys of spring fed clean lakes in the mountains

Take a bout of Dysentery one time and you'll cut that lake water drinking out.

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

blasphemy
i also drink out of the freshwater springs coming out of the ground

yetiman

Seaman

Probably have gulped gallons of lake water (Sebago, Maine) over my whole life time. Never been sick from it.

According to the Portland water district (http://www.pwd.org/environment/sebago/sebago.php) very little filtration is used to clean up the lake water used by Portland.

Well my Z pak is working wonders already so maybe it was just a strange coincidence but I don't plan on drinking anymore lake water:D

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I'm no doctor, but I think it was probably no coincidence. I was with a group of a dozen people in Honduras a couple of years ago. We went to some water falls and all went swimming around and through them. At least four people in our group had respritory problems and two of them ended up on antibiotics. It all depends what's in the water and your own immune system. Everybody is different.

79camaro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm in the lake a couple times a week and have never been sick from it. I don't think it's impossible to get sick from Lake water, but it isn't something I've heard to much of.