Trim problem

Marathon Man

Cadet
Hi, just purchased a new to me 1997 Cobalt 272 with 289 hours on the meter. It is powered by a 454 Volvo with a duo prop drive. Great boat.
The numbers are as follows:
Engine 74GIPLKDCE

Transom TSK SX-C1 (gas)

Drive unit DP-S1.68 (M22)
Problem I am having is the trim stopped working the third time I had the boat out. This boat has the binnacle control w/o the lever to depress to shift into forward or reverse.
The trim switch is in the shift/throttle control and there is a separate switch for the tilt 3" below the binnacle. If I push the trim switch, the black box control back on the inside of the transom lights the green light for one way and the yellow light for the other way, but there is no other action and no sound of a pump running.If I push the trim switch and push up on the tilt switch, the outdrive will start to come up, but I have not brought it up but 1 or 2 degrees. This boat has an electric lift for the motor box, and the black box and the pump/motor unit are moved to the port side of the transom for clearance of that lifting assembly. I have looked for a fuse both under the helm and in the area around the trim pump and the black box, but have not found one.
The boat is stored on a lift in a fresh water lake.
Thanks for any help you can offer and I will be glad to furnish any other needed info.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Marathon Man

Cadet
Re: Trim problem

I haven't worked on one of those systems since around 98 or 99, so can't really give you a lot of personal experience help. But here is the service manual and the instructions for the trim limit kit which actually has more info in it than the manual.
http://www.4shared.com/document/mfPztb8k/Setting_trim_limit_on_black_bo.html?

You want the electrical, ignition for the electrical part of the trim system. http://www.4shared.com/dir/14518392/2d00c0cc/LKsharing.html

Don, thanks for the info. My trim works only when I push the tilt/over ride switch. Does this indicate any special fuse, relay or breaker?

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim problem

If Don S. didn?t know right off hand I?m probably just cluttering this thread, but here goes.

I put my boat up for the winter with everything working fine. I de-winterized and found that the ?trim? would not work, but the ?tilt? was working fine. If I understand you correctly, that?s your problem, right?

After checking all fuses, relays etc., I removed the trim position sensor. I found that it was seized up. So, after spending about $200 on this tiny jewel and about 2 hours of my time, I had it replaced and properly synchronized. Now, my ?trim? works like new!