painting outdrive

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer
i have a 91 cobra outdrive just wondering if any one has painted there outdrive, the original paint is half gone and peeling, i need new zinc anodes i think. this is how i bought it, shifts and drives great i just want it to look great.

thinking it would be easier to remove upper and lower to do it. if i need to remove the whole outdrive i would get a manual for sure but is that an hour project or? i also have access to a hi-lo and a hight adjustable rolling work bench.

i am not opposed to taping off the transom and painting it while its on any thoughts? if i remove the drive i would probably replace bellows and gimble, just so i dont have to do that in the fall or next year.

as far as paint goes do i need special paint that may stop this from happening again or a water resistant paint for submersable applications? or just peel the old crap off and use rustolium or automotive?

i have access to unlimited painting supplies, vented paint booth, commercial air compresser at 160 psi with a dozen differnt sprayers and tips.

i plan to get new zinc after i paint it so it doesnt happen again.

Randy J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: painting outdrive

just go to wal mart and get there cheap $.99 cans of primer and gloss or flat black paint tape off back end and get er done ! its good enough is what ive used for yrs.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

just go to wal mart and get there cheap $.99 cans of primer and gloss or flat black paint tape off back end and get er done ! its good enough is what ive used for yrs.
I would at least step up to Rustolium, It will adhere a little better [last longer] IMHO... I just sanded, painted my Alpha 1, then followed with a shot of clear coat. Made it all purdy...

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

thank you paultjohnson, glad to see that i am not the only one that hates to see a nasty looking outdrive even if i only see it when its on the trailer. i was thinking of going with a grey like volvo to match the grey just below the rubber or blue to match my blue stripe just above the rubber. thinking grey might be better as blue would put people off and make a scene at the ramp[oooohhhhh aaaahhh what type of outdrive is that!].

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I have never seen a Cobra that didn't have peeling paint...

I use a charcoal grey metallic in a rattle can... Rattle can some clear on... Still looks good...

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like everyone is assuming the boat will not be in salt water at any time?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like everyone is assuming the boat will not be in salt water at any time?
Is there alot of salt water in Michigan ?

If the paint peals, tell everyone the boat has to much power/speed to hold paint...

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

the only salt water it would see would be if i put the outdrive in a barrel of water then added salt just to ruin my cooling system and exhust. i am just glad i am not the only one that is going to do this.

07caddy

Seaman

I need some paint as well and possibly a new anode? Painting is on my to-do list and are a bunch of other things with this boat!!!!!!!

Attachments

• anode.jpg
    anode.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
  • paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 0

Donzi GT250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is what I did this spring to paint my Cobra drive.
I bought some Mouller zinc chromate primer and some Mouller black outdrive paint.
I sanded the drive with 150 grit paper and cleaned with denatured alcohol.
Painted the bare metal spots with the zinc chromate and then painted the whole drive with the outdrive black.
It has been in lake Erie for two and a half months and is holding up great.
Also if you are running in fresh water such as the great lakes then it is advisable to use magnesium anodes and not zinc.

07caddy

Seaman

Did you paint the drive while attached to your boat and just tape off the transom?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Also if you are running in fresh water such as the great lakes then it is advisable to use magnesium anodes and not zinc.

Never heard of that :confused: How come ? i didn't even know there were options:eek::D

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Never heard of that :confused: How come ? i didn't even know there were options:eek::D

because zinc may not be electrically active enough in freshwater, magnesium is less noble and will protect a drive in fresh water better.

I did mine this spring too, used to have the yard do the anti-fouling but always had a barnacle farm by August, so this year I took on the job myself. Prepped the drive, put on 3 coats of Primocon under water primer and 2 coats of Trilux anti fouling paint. So far after 6 weeks in the water holding up well....Aluminum is difficult to paint at best, because it oxidizes so fast in the air....

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

because zinc may not be electrically active enough in freshwater, magnesium is less noble and will protect a drive in fresh water better.
Wow... kool...Had no idea. Thanks for teaching me sumtn' today..;):):D:D:D

Donzi GT250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you paint the drive while attached to your boat and just tape off the transom?

Painted with drive attached.
I forgot to mention that after 2 coats of the mouller black I applied a couple coats of mouller clear coat.
So far happy with the results.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

Man, if started talking crap about mine, it would stall during that conversation or shortly thereafter..

yahh,....i've driven a dump truck like that.

i am just glad i dont have to remove the outdrive to do this, i work 2nd shift and the boat is on my way to work, saturday the boat will be in the water till monday so i need to jump on this if i am doing it this week, to alow the paint to properly dry. 2-3 coats of paint and another 2 coats of clear coat, lots of work to do.

thanks for the magnesium refernce heading to the boat store now, i'll check iboats prices first incase there cheaper.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

One year the corrosion in my harbor was so bad, that the big Cobra zinc on the front end of the lower unit, flat out was GONE, with the 2 bolts that held it on! Usually they are about 1/2 shot by the end of our six month season. Salt water is a whole new world, from a corrosion perspective, but fresh water can be very corrosive too, if it has a lot of dissolved minerals in it or you are in a marina with boats with electrical leaks....