Playing a Region 4 DVD

QC

Supreme Mariner
I bought a DVD last time I was in Australia. It's a goofy comedy called Kenny that I watched on the airplane and thought my boys would enjoy it. I wasn't paying much attention though and didn't realise that it was a "Region 4" only disc which means it can't be played in a US DVD player. Does anybody know how to make this thing playable? Is there conversion software? Any ideas?

Although this might seem like bootlegging files to some, I see this as getting what I paid for . . . Could be argued, but I'd prefer we talk just the technical aspects of this. Thanks.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Playing a Region 4 DVD

You can buy non region specific DVD players off the internet for cheap. Also I believe most computer DVD players will play it.

Xcusme

Commander

Whats the make and model of the player? Some players can be re-flashed with non standard firmware that allows the player to play all region dvd's....

I'm getting ready to put up for auction on Ebay a NIB DVD player that can be flashed to kill Macrovision , no country restrictions and can install a large hard drive to make the unit a video jukebox.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well I don't want to buy anything, but we may actually need a new DVD player soon . . . Blue Ray etc.

I tried it in my laptop when I got it and it said that if I played it then I would be limited to region 4 DVDs forever . . . :rolleyes: I haven't tried our xBox 360 which might play it . . .

QC

Supreme Mariner

Because Kenny talks funny like you do . . .

puddle jumper

Captain

Wow i dint know there was different playing DVD players around the world. Whats the purpose of this?:confused:

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just Google 'DVD region code'. All the info you will ever need.

Just play the DVD in your computer.

If you really want it on DVD, you can get software that will remove the region code on the DVD. DVD Shrink and DVDFab are examples of such software.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I think i have Power DVD 6 on my other computer and it will play all regions..
Never understood why the need for region codes...:rolleyes:

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a DVD last time I was in Australia. It's a goofy comedy called Kenny that I watched on the airplane and thought my boys would enjoy it. I wasn't paying much attention though and didn't realise that it was a "Region 4" only disc which means it can't be played in a US DVD player. Does anybody know how to make this thing playable? Is there conversion software? Any ideas?

Although this might seem like bootlegging files to some, I see this as getting what I paid for . . . Could be argued, but I'd prefer we talk just the technical aspects of this. Thanks.

Well, shouldn't you make a backup of the DVD and keep the original in a safe place? If you did it right, you would also get a playable DVD...

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, the last suggestion I tried, but maybe I am stupid . . . the DVD is 6.something gig and the DVDRs are 4.something . . . ??? So I don't know yet . . . I can't play in my Laptop or my standard DVD player. I have not tried our other computers yet or the xBox. I won't be home until Friday, so no news until after that for sure.

MikDee

Banned

QC, Search, & Get yourself DVDshrink it's (free), and you can edit, & compress the video (with it's online scale) till it fits on a standard 4.7GB disc, then save the file on your hard drive, then download (free) IMGBURN, and burn a backup copy.

This should do it for you, Let me know how you make out.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Mik. I already got DVD43 that should make the copy playable, so I'll try your suggestion along with that :cool:

gonefishie

Commander

Well, shouldn't you make a backup of the DVD and keep the original in a safe place? If you did it right, you would also get a playable DVD...

That's exactly what I would recommend. DVDFab is fantabulous.

MikDee

Banned

Thanks Mik. I already got DVD43 that should make the copy playable, so I'll try your suggestion along with that :cool:

Yes, I have DVD43 also, but I believe DVDShrink has it's own decrypter as well, and it's Free,,, you just need a program like IMGBRN to burn the Video_TS file to a disc.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Don't listen to Dunaruna you blokes....he's playing on words....you'll understand if you watch it....especially when he go to America, to a real live convention!!.
Cheers
Phillip

WizeOne

Commander

The usual: Money, Control, Power...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_region

I know it is disconcerting v1-0, but if you were in their shoes, what would you do? You just have to learn to play the game your way if you do not accept theirs.;)

Supply and demand is different in different places. What you can get for your product in America may not work in other places. So do you really think that an artist should just not try to sell to overseas markets?