Mercruiser 120 HP question....

Ragan2009

Cadet
I am restoring a 66 Starcraft and I bought a 1980 to 1983 Mercruiser 4 banger. The serial # on the block is 3411114, but when I try to do a part search with this serial number it says not found on the websites. How can I know that I am searching the right engine? Thanks in advance!!!!!

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser 120 HP question....

Ragan

Need a bit more info but, congrats on the 66. I just finished a 66 or 67 (can't find out which year for sure) and I don't know how far you are into yours but GOOD LUCK! I have done several car, tractors, bikes over the years and old boats are by far the most.....elusive! You never know for sure how old anything is, what is original, what was original etc etc. Why I ask "how far are you" will help me get an idea where you are in your "old boat restore" learning curve. I don't want to assume where you are but..... I am just going to throw this out. In my experience, when searching for "mercrusier" parts (and associated motors) they are listed by the mercruiser numbers not the motor numbers. Numbers on the drive. Which of course is useless to you because, if you are using the 66 out drive and a 80s motor nothing will add up. Are you sure you can even marry those 2 together? You are going to have to step beyond the known woulds of parts list. Like when you go to Auto Zone and the kid behind the counter tells you the part in your hand really doesn't exist because it is not in his computer!! What has worked for me.... can you get the crusier numbers of the drive the motor came from? Use those in your search not the motor. There is a parts co out there that, if you get the right guy on the phone will work with you. If you just tell him the year, he will email you the blow-up from his parts catalog till you see the part that looks like yours. Then you have a basic number reference for the future... That works sometimes. Hope this helps

Grzzzz

happytroller

Recruit
Re: Mercruiser 120 HP question....

I am restoring a 66 Starcraft and I bought a 1980 to 1983 Mercruiser 4 banger. The serial # on the block is 3411114, but when I try to do a part search with this serial number it says not found on the websites. How can I know that I am searching the right engine? Thanks in advance!!!!!

sounds like you upgraded from a 120 to a 140 hp motor. the merc # your looking for will either be on the valve cover, (sticker) or on a tag on the port side of the engine on the block. if it's not there, look for parts for a 3.0 litre, (181 c.i.) if it's the 140 hp instead of the original 2.5 litre (153 c.i.) 120 hp.