Bravo Gimbal housing rebuilding questions. HELP!

Friscoboater

Captain
I am so confused. I really would like to take apart my Bravo I gimbal housing to paint it. Please replace all the parts on the inside. I have seen some places that say you have to drill 1 1/8" holes in the housing to access the steering arm, and others say you can remove it without going that far.

Is it possible to take it apart without drilling the holes?

Thanks for the help.

It is a 1995 Bravo one if that helps. Serial starts with 0F

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bravo Gimbal housing rebuilding questions. HELP!

I am so confused. I really would like to take apart my Bravo I gimbal housing to paint it. Please replace all the parts on the inside. I have seen some places that say you have to drill 1 1/8" holes in the housing to access the steering arm, and others say you can remove it without going that far.

Is it possible to take it apart without drilling the holes?

Thanks for the help.

It is a 1995 Bravo one if that helps. Serial starts with 0F

Ayuh,... Yer other option is to pull the motor 1st....

There's really no reason to go that deep to paint, 'n replace wear parts...

Please explain exactly What part it is ya wanta replace,..??

45Auto

Commander

Only thing you have to drill the holes for (or use the JR Marine access plate) is if you want to remove the gimbal ring without removing the motor.

You can easily take it apart all the way down to the gimbal ring from outside the boat. From that point you can strip it and repaint it so it looks new.

If you have a significant amount of play between your steering arm and gimbal ring (very common on Bravo's), you'll be pulling the gimbal ring anyway ....

Pete104

Lieutenant

Like 45auto said, if the steering is tight all is good. Take it apart like your putting bellows on it & paint it. New bellows & shift cable, your done.

45auto, common in Alpha's too!

Friscoboater

Captain

I have the motor out and the gimbal housing off. The steering pin looks very rusty and there is alot of play in it. From what I have read, I should be able to take the gimbal ring off without drilling the holes.

Pete104

Lieutenant

You can, but the gimbal hsg has to be removed from the transom.

45Auto

Commander

If you have the motor out, you can take the upper swivel shaft nut off from inside the boat. Then the gimbal ring can be removed.

Depending on the shape of the transom, you might have to remove the inner transom shield to get enough access to the nut to turn it.

As long as you've got the motor out, do everything you need to on the transom before you put it back in!

mpdcam

Cadet

I just did mine with the JR Marine access plate. It worked great and I can easily access that area now.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I have the motor out and the gimbal housing off.

Should not be too much of a problem. You need to loosen up the clamping screw holding the steering arm on the upper swivel pin and loosen the nut on the top of the swivel pin. You also need to remove the pin from the lower swivel shaft. Here are some instructions, start at about step #10 since you are not drilling holes: http://www.mercstuff.com/gimbalringinst.htm