How Do I Remove Silicone Sealant ?

w2much

Lieutenant
I have a Striper 21" Center Console. Had to work on the fuel tank and remove my deck hatch. Now finished I would like to remove the old(rather thick bead) silicone from both sides so that I may reseal the hatch. I used a knife to cut through the existing seal then the hatch came up fairly easily. The hatch is about 40" by 60". Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How Do I Remove Silicone Sealant ?

start scraping, razor scraper works ok. i hate silicone.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I wish I could come up with something to remove silicon, I think I would have a much nicer boat if I did.

There really isn't a way to get the stuff off other than what TD said, a razor is about it.

Just painted my boat and got into the joys of silicon removal, I found after you pick and scrape most of it off a wire brush helps break it up then rub it with your finger top get the last of it.

If you are going to reseal it you don't have to get every little bit off so that helps alittle.

Bondo

Staff member

i hate silicone.

Ayuh,..... Me Too.....

While the stuff has it's places,... On a Boat ain't 1 of them....

If at all possible, I usually attack it with a wirewheel on a 4, 1/2" Angle Grinder......

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

I found that a 5 in 1 tool works very good for getting in hard to reach areas

foodfisher

Captain

Scrape it down as far as you can, then a course towel soaked in alcohol. The silicone will ball up and fall off. Use different parts of the towel as it becomes plugged/fouled. Oh yeh, an ample supply of elbow grease.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Add another name to the I-hate-silicon list!

I picked up a 44 year old aluminium cruiser that had developed numerous leaks over the years. The previous owner (or two) must have been a distributor for a silicon sealant company because there is silicon EVERYWHERE - none of which stopped the leaks so they just put more on!

Utility knife and rubbing seems to be the only way to get this crap off!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Thread is over 19 months old! :eek: :rolleyes:

j_martin

Admiral

Thread is over 19 months old! :eek: :rolleyes:

I don't care, I still hate sillycone.

88 Tracker 150 HP transom basically like wet cardboard because of sillycone "sealant"