Fuel Tank Sizing and Location?

phiednate

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1968 Glaspar Citation with a 1990 Johnson 115. While the engine and boat were in great shape, the wiring, gauges and tank were not. I ripped out the old metal tank and grabbed a Moeller 12 gallon tank from my dad that I plan on putting up in the bow. After I got my new gauges I realized a small problem. The tank I have has a mechanic fuel gauge. I figured I could just replace it with an electric one but it doesn't appear to be removable. Any suggestions? The tank is a Moeller 630013P. Will I have to purchase a different tank or is there something I can do to get this working? Also what size fuel line should I run with it? My assumption is 3/8" but I want to be sure. Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Tank with Electric Fuel Tank Sender

Senders for electric fuel gauges have a standard mounting flange which your tank apparently does not have, nor can you make it work safely. Note that I said SAFELY. Tanks made for electric senders have metal nuts embedded into the tank. Your tank does not have those and the tank material is not thick enough to use simple sheet metal or wood screws. Fuel leakage on a boat is a recipe for disaster in the form of KABOOM! Use the proper tank.

phiednate

Cadet

That's what I was was starting to think. Guess I need to purchase a new tank.

I have been looking at tanks that will tuck under the splash guard (correct terminology?) in the stern of the boat but am a tad confused. I assume I need a "Outboard Topside" fuel tank but all the Moeller ones I have been looking at seem to be the same as what I currently have with the mechanical fuel senders. The " Below Deck Permanent Fuel Tanks" seem to have everything I am wanting but I am worried there could be a potential problem with it being used in the outboard topside application I intend to. Ideas?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

That's what I was was starting to think. Guess I need to purchase a new tank.

I have been looking at tanks that will tuck under the splash guard (correct terminology?) in the stern of the boat but am a tad confused. I assume I need a "Outboard Topside" fuel tank but all the Moeller ones I have been looking at seem to be the same as what I currently have with the mechanical fuel senders. The " Below Deck Permanent Fuel Tanks" seem to have everything I am wanting but I am worried there could be a potential problem with it being used in the outboard topside application I intend to. Ideas?

More than one of us has put a tank below deck but it can be a challenge. The first problem will be in finding a tank that will fit the space you have. If you can mount it under the deck near the splash well then don't exceed the current fuel tanks capacity or you will likely mess with the center of balance (cb) of the boat and that will lead to all sorts of other problems. The other thing that becomes difficult is routing the fill and vent hoses. Often there is not enough room below the deck to accomodate them so you need to get creative and sometimes that can lead to difficulties filling the tank. If you decide you want to try it, go with a moeller tank and find a local boat dealer that has access to the manufacturers replacement tanks at Moeller. You won't find those on the website or retail catalog but it's likely that you can find a better fit that way. Also, use the Perko fill cap with the vent built in. These are the flat fill caps with the pop up cap that you see on many of the Bass boats and custom made boats. They are the easiest to plumb and are the least problematic when it comes to inhaling moisture.

Hope that helps.

phiednate

Cadet

When you say "below deck" what exactly do you mean? I am still l working on my boat vocabulary. Is "below deck" under the flooring? My dad took out the old tank but I believe it was mounted under the splash guard which I planned to replicate. I did some research on my boat and found that it had an 18 gallon tank. I want the boat to be as balanced as possible so considering that it now has a 1990 Johnson 115 (which I assume is larger/heavier then the original motor), would putting a tank up front be a good idea for weight distribution? I will probably be out on the thing no more then 6 hours at a time so would a smaller tank like 12 gallons do the trick? I have been looking at the Moeller website and under the OEM section they have a few tanks which I think would work but I will need to do some measurements tomorrow to make sure it would fit in the back. There is a ton of room in the front so that would be more of a weight balance then anything else.

The tank I tried is 10 1/4" and almost fit. All the old filling hardware is there. Would something like this work for my location? http://www.moellermarine.com/sites/moellermarine/files/FT1295-R2_(2).pdf

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Go for the 18 gallon for your 115.