Bizarre career shift

QC

Supreme Mariner
I belong to a music email list thing, and I just got a note about one of my favorite guitarists that struck me as odd, so I did some Googling. Check out the career of this guy. Pretty much blows my mind, and I've ended up with a funny smile stuck on my face.

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter

Anybody who takes this political . . . well I'll just . . . and then I'll . . . well I don't know what I'll do, but I'll do something :eek: :rolleyes: :)

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bizarre career shift

Wow.:eek:

Still pulling in the bucks and enjoying it I bet.

aspeck

Staff member

From guitarist to missle defense systems ... who says the American Dream is dead and you can't do whatever you put your mind to do!

Shizzy

Ensign

Awsome!

I know quite a few people that are doing what they do for no real reason.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I'd bet a beer or two that the magazine that he started reading was "Aviation Week." I knew a lot about Skunk's musical affiliations, but never new about the defense stuff - very interesting. Its also sort of amusing to think about a 60s music hippie, who probably did a lot of things that shouldn't be mentioned in this family oriented forum, advising the DOD! I used to deal with the Doobie Brothers, and let's just say that their two Martin 404s (called the Doobie-liner and the Crewbie-liner) smelled funny sometimes.

For those who were/are fans of Steely Dan, there is another guitar player of note (pun intended) - Larry Carlton. He has been a solo artist for years now, but if you ever enjoyed guitar licks like the one in the song "Kid Charlemagne," that's him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkArP1YjlQ0&NR=1

Last edited:

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... i gotta get off this couch! nice post

QC

Supreme Mariner

LOL at AZ . . . Yeah Jay, Carlton is the man. I think for shear simplicity, tone, phrasing etc. the solo to Ricky Don't Lose that Number, is one of my favorites of all time . . . That's The Skunk :cool:

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

LOL at AZ . . . Yeah Jay, Carlton is the man. I think for shear simplicity, tone, phrasing etc. the solo to Ricky Don't Lose that Number, is one of my favorites of all time . . . That's The Skunk :cool:

Hey QC, since you're a fan of Larry Carlton, you may want to check out a 1994 collaboration album with guitarist Lee Ritenour called Larry & Lee.
I promise you that its absolutely phenomenal.;)

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Don't get me wrong I like "Ricky don't lose that number", but I LOVE "reeling in the years".

There are a few guitarist that I've seen just on TV that would blow your mind on what they do now a days, just can't remember the names. Non compare to missle defense though. It gets interesting when you see some of these guys cross over to country music.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey QC, since you're a fan of Larry Carlton, you may want to check out a 1994 collaboration album with guitarist Lee Ritenour called Larry & Lee.
I promise you that its absolutely phenomenal.;)

I'll do that. And if you like Ritenour look into Grusin (Sp.) and Ritenour's Harlequin (GRP) . . . ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Being surprized that entertainers are not one dimensional is not a new phenomenon.

Who can name the glamorous femme fatal movie star who invented a complex sonar device that helped US submariners in WWII?

Who can name the top secret missions of WWII accomplished by Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.?

Who was the comical "Gong Show" host who was an assassin for the CIA??

The ability to excel is a talent not limited to any particular field.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Who was the comical "Gong Show" host who was an assassin for the CIA??

Chuck Barris, am I right? That blew my mind when I first found out about him being an assassin, can't remember where I found that out, probably the Biography channel.

JB

Yes! And 100 free posts to wildmaninal. :) (Posts must be used within iboats rules. :) )

Laddies

Banned

Hedy Lamar invented the torpedo guidance system of WW II
Douglas Fairbanks Jr was responsible for forming of the beach jumpers, worked on WW II deception plans, got the Sliver Star while on a PT boat and was Knighted by the British

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I guess I am not surprised by the involvement either. Entertainment and government cross lines all the time....... There are times you can't tell the players without a scorecard but that's life!

Even Julia Childs was employed as a spy!

JB

Wow!! Laddies is really up on the history of entertainers excelling.

I was aware of Fairbanks' involvement in the elaborate deceptions that kept the Nazis confused and greatly helped the European invasion success. I wasn't aware of, but am not surprised by, the other accomplishments.

Neither am I surprised at Hedy Lamar. That lady was as smart as she was drop dead gorgeous.

200 free posts for laddies. :) :)

Laddies

Banned

JB, I am not a entertainment fan, I am a military history nut and especially WW II

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah the other stories are interesting as well. I guess I am particularly struck by the contrast of a partying rock guitarist from the 70s, and now what appears to be a conservative Defense Consultant.

The Chuck Barris thing has not been confirmed has it? Is there a way to confirm a CIA gig? I would guess not . . .