Eska 9.9 CDI CopyCat hack of Truckintyler Interference Problem

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
I have de-potted the trigger coils, cut their traces, soldered leads to the + and -, and run them, along with extended charge coil wires, out from under the flywheel on the starboard side. It's all hooked up and hangin, so I can turn the engine over, and see if it sparks. The problem is, when I put the stator on, the flywheel hits something and stops. it doesn't sound like metal to metal, the thing is in neutral, and when I take the stator off, no interference. The stator is fully seated on the crank case, and I didn't take the coils off the core, so I don't get it. I have pics of this thing from three sides and the top, so if anybody sees something squirelly, let me know.

005.jpg006.jpg008.jpg009.jpg

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Eska 9.9 CDI CopyCat hack of Truckintyler Interference Problem

It appears to be that plastic hub in the flywheel that's hitting something. It's not a hard contact, and I can pull the starter over it - Maybe that's how it works? Either way, I hooked all that crap up, yanked the starter a few times, no spark. Great.

M

mrcrabs

see thats why tyler cut all the traces, I know this sound selfish but I want to know just exactly which ones have to be cut to make the disconnect....life is to short to tinker with that stuff forever and I'm to lazy to explore it for myself.

You sir are on a mission...LOL

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Well, unless I'm all wet, It seems to me that if you cut all the traces around the + and - trigger coil connections, it doesn't matter what else is still connected, because the coil is isolated. The charge coils are already isolated, so the only thing the old circuit can get is a ground connection, no voltage. I got the ugly feelin' this has more to do with my dicey schematic interpretation skills than old SSI components. I don't know that I'd say 'lazy' - don't I remember something about a wise man and the mistakes of others, as opposed to his own?

M

mrcrabs

Are you using the schematics from tylers link in the Eska files?

You know if it weren't so darn windy here I would take my lazy arse to the river and play with all of my motors today.

From NOAA, This Afternoon: Mostly sunny, with a high near 89. Southwest wind between 11 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

me old Eska's and Ted Williams an't got the stuff in there draws to fight with that and I'm not going to beat myself to death in my runabout with a 14 mph south wind blowing up stream to the Ohio river. The whole week looks shot so here I set.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Here's what I been lookin' at;

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_110499/article.html

I expect these things often need a rethink and a second look, just to make sure it's hooked up right. I rolled the crank with a piece of shrink tubing thru the plug hole, then put the flywheel on to see where the magnets were, to tell me which charge and trigger were #1. I figure the nearest trigger to the magnets with #1 at TDC, is the #1 trigger, and the next counterclockwise charge coil belongs to that. I no longer have any idea why I think that, though.

It would drive me nuts to be screwed out of a river run every time the wind picked up. I don't like the wind for fishing, but I'm fine with idling around out there burning fuel.

M

mrcrabs

My stretch of the Ohio is perty much north and south and mile wide, when you get a north bound 10 mph wind and a south bound river together you end up with some very angry water especially if its gusting to 20, my trihull will beat you guts out.

the wind is laying a bit this evening so I may go to the lake and troll around for a bass

0.125 BTDC, do you have the timing procedure? I can take a picture of the page and e-mail it to you.

truckintyler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The trigger closest to the pistons is cylinder 1 or the top one, and the trigger near the carb is # 2

As for which traces to cut just the traces around the trigger coil leads and rivets should be fine.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't cut the traces around the rivets, except as they connected to the trigger + solder joint. I made 3 cuts around the + joint, 1 cut on the -. My approach to figuring out which trigger belonged to #1 worked, though. The #1 charge coil, must be the one nearest the model tag on the starboard side. I;m gonna recheck my basic connections, then start looking at the way I've put these things together.

M

mrcrabs

when you guys get this all hashed out let me know, I want to put it all in PDF with pictures and proper credits and store it at the yahoo group, is that Ok with U's

truckintyler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So for determining the charge coils number 1 charge coil is the furthest one away from the module and same for 2. I would have a hard time making up a PDF for this but will help in any way mr crabs

M

mrcrabs

Just a good explanation of what to do and use, and some pictures, I can convert documents to pdf and we can park them for download at the Eska outboards yahoo group there with Eds and the other files,

someone needs to take that over when I die ;)

truckintyler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well if I could only get my flywheel off I could get some good pictures , I already stripped the pulley hole once then re- drilled taped stripped again.... damn aluminum flywheel. I must have put it on to tight last fall . I would get it removed with heat but these flywheels seem very very rare.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

It's expensive, but Heli-coil is the answer. They will give the threads in the aluminum a bigger pitch diameter, which makes them stronger, and they don't wear like aluminum with frequent flywheel removal, and they won't rust because they are stainless. What size holes are in it now?

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just curious to know what year, model # of an eska are you working on? model # for the engine? it sounds like your into a major electronic retrofit. i've just started wrangling with my eska and with alot of help from mr.crabs i think that he put me in the right direction, i'll know when the parts arrive. good luck.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Yo, T-Ty - I'm putting a screwdriver under the flywheel on the cylinder side, putting some pry pressure upward on it, then shocking the crank with a 10" long aluminum bar, 1.5" diameter. I have the nut on there flush with the end of the end of the crank. Narwals, you are correct - My number is 217.586250, and it has a dead stator. CDI Products or somebody

002.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg

makes a reworked stator for these things, but you have to find a dealer, and it's $250. Lots of us think that's stupid money for what it is, and TruckinTyler had the scrotal contents to fabricate his own CDI pair, based on this idea;

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_110499/article.html

The components are available at lots of electronics supply houses, you just have to be able to read a schematic. I suck at it, because all I know is what I've read, and while I'm not particularly smart, I have a remarkably hard head, and am wonderfly persistent. I did get out there and find one of my solder joints was a dud. Got that resoldered, and hooked the board up again, but I have not ad a chance to yank the starter and see if it's blowin' fire. Maybe Tomorrow.

001.jpg001.jpg

truckintyler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mahtymaht i ain't tried that method yet to get the flywheel off, but i was using a drill gun with a socket on the end to test my spark and maybe that ended up over torquing it.. either way you did the wiring the same way i did. Your waiting till tomorrow to yank on that?.. i wouldn't be able to sleep.

i love this part
"It is even harder to justify the prices charged when you see the circuit components involved." <-- from the write up at http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_110499/article.html

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

I'm psyching myself up against possible disappointment. Yankin' that line with a grounded plug is like lookin' down a rabbit hole that you know either has a grenade, or an egg McMuffin in it.StrGNDWire.jpgStatorWires.jpg

M

mrcrabs

I'm going to put this thread in the eska files for postarity, little good it will do. However another forum saw the wisdom to make the Eska files a sticky :p

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Grenade in the rabbit hole today. The #2 trigger coil is open. Spinning the motor with a drill and no plugs, #1 trigger puts out 3 to 5 millivolts, (measured thru a rectifier on the DC scale), both charge coils are kickin' out maybe 8 volts, but #2 trigger - BUPKISS! Don't really know where to go from here. Any body got a dead Eska twin stator? If I excavate the back side of that stupid board, will I see anything repairable? I don't think I'm willing to rewind the durn thang, but is there a chance the break is in the lead, not in the coil?