Trim won't move up and down

destynee

Recruit
I have a 2003 Tahoe by Tracker 3.0 mercury inboard fish and ski boat. Recently I replaced the trim switch cause it was old. Now that I have replaced it and checked/cleaned all wires, replaced solenoids beside the trim motor it shows that power is getting to the motor but still won't move up and down. What else should I try to do? The trim motor makes no noise at all when I pres the switch but the test light confirms power to the motor.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim won't move up and down

Recently I replaced the trim switch cause it was old.

On a 2003 boat :eek: :eek:

maybe you should replace the boat, it's just as old as that switch was. :facepalm:

Seriously, here are the troubleshooting procedures for your trim system.

Attachments

• A1G2 Trim Troublelshooting.pdf
    103.6 KB · Views: 0

wkraus

Cadet

You could have someone tap on the motor with a small hammer or wrench and see if it works. The brushes might be shot. You might get it to work for a second if thats the problem. That would be my bet though.

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 2003 Tahoe by Tracker 3.0 mercury inboard fish and ski boat. Recently I replaced the trim switch cause it was old. Now that I have replaced it and checked/cleaned all wires, replaced solenoids beside the trim motor it shows that power is getting to the motor but still won't move up and down. What else should I try to do? The trim motor makes no noise at all when I pres the switch but the test light confirms power to the motor.

Run power directly to the motor. One lead is up and one lead is down. Make sure the motor is grounded by clipping a test light to a hot lead and touching the motor casing too. If powering directly doesn't work your motor is shot.