What model outdrive do I have?

hondatech78

Recruit
I have an 86 Bayliner w/ a AQ125B motor. Im not sure exactly which drive I have. The # on the tag on the upper unit is 27133849D. I need to order some parts for it, just want to make sure Im ordering for the correct drive. Thanks.

captmello

Captain
Re: What model outdrive do I have?

Welcome to iboats.

I'm pretty sure the 125s came with a 270 outdrive. What parts are you ordering?

hondatech78

Recruit

Ive been having overheating issues and found an air leak at the bushing (#11 in the exploded parts view) just under the water outlet that always corrodes off. So I need to order all the parts to do that job, plus the bellows and possible u-joints due to a vibration im getting.

captmello

Captain

Pull the upper gear box, like this:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

You can inspect the ujoints and drive shaft bearing condition with the upper off. With the upper off, I would remove the water intake fitting, and replace the gasket. The bushing, #11, doesn't seal anything, that gasket does. If however that bushing is badly worn, it can result in too much play in the pivot tube, causing it to suck air/leak. I would start by replacing the gasket before you tear the whole outdrive down and replace the upper pivot tube bushing.

the link has the part numbers for the orings to reinstall the upper. I would pull the upper and see what I found before ordering parts.

hondatech78

Recruit

Those are the instructions I used to pull the upper unit. Bushing #11 is in pieces and the tube was shifted to the left pinching the seal on the water neck. So it looks like the rest of my drive is coming off and coming apart. If you have any tips on removing the side pins and disassembling my drive I would be very thankful.

captmello

Captain

Those are the instructions I used to pull the upper unit. Bushing #11 is in pieces and the tube was shifted to the left pinching the seal on the water neck. So it looks like the rest of my drive is coming off and coming apart. If you have any tips on removing the side pins and disassembling my drive I would be very thankful.

You may have let onto those details in your first post.:rolleyes:

To fully remove the outdrive, simply remove the pin retaining bolts and pound the pins in toward the center of the outdrive. You may need to turn steering helmet one way or the other so the pins don't hit it. Us a brass drift to pound out the pins, as they are soft and can mushroom, making them impossible to remove. I built a rolling outdrive stand to support the outdrive and pull it away from the transom shield easily.

Once removed, you'll need to seperate the intermediate from the lower and disassemble the intermadiate to replace the upper pivot bushing.

I would replace the following parts as well.

two pivot pin bushings
needle bearing cage assembly
two needle bearing seals
three new orings to go between the lower and intermediate assemblies for reinstall.

Again, I would break the outdrive down before ordering parts. you never know what else you may need.

hondatech78

Recruit

Just want to update and thank you captmello for the info. I replaced the u-joints, both bellows, most of the outdrive o-rings, bushing #11, and the pivot bushings. My overheating and vibration issues are both gone. Thanks again!

James