1977 Lund S-18 Big Resorter Project boat

lfreng

Seaman
IMG_20110606_152239.jpgIMG_20110606_152220.jpgIMG_20110608_110020.jpgIMG_20110608_110004.jpg

Picked up a gutted hull=1977 Lund Big Resorter 18' (from what I can tell). I am looking to turn it into a fishing rig. Looking for some recomendations for flooring, steering console construction, etc. Friom what I gathered from the former owner it had storage down the driver side and a live well and storage on the other side. Love to hear what you have to say. This will be my first boat project and I am excited for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

goboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Got my first project boat. looking for ideas and recommendations.

Man! that looks like a great hull to start with! Did you put down the square aluminum stock in the bottom? I also belong to another site called tinboats.net. You gotta see what some people do with theirs...wow! iboats and tinboats will give you all the help you will ever need. Keep posting pics and good luck!!

lfreng

Seaman

Man! that looks like a great hull to start with! Did you put down the square aluminum stock in the bottom? I also belong to another site called tinboats.net. You gotta see what some people do with theirs...wow! iboats and tinboats will give you all the help you will ever need. Keep posting pics and good luck!!

the stock was already there, i am guessing it was original. i'll check out tinboats too

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Man that's a great hull. A nice big blank slate. For a first step I'd wash out the inside as well as I could and apply Gluvit to all the rivets and seams. Great protection against future leaks.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

I second ezmobee's recommendation, seal it up well and then make it into whatever you want. That's a great place to start. No de-construction necessary, which is truly a pain. Also, no rotten wood. What are you planning to use for flooring, and what's your budget?

lfreng

Seaman

I second ezmobee's recommendation, seal it up well and then make it into whatever you want. That's a great place to start. No de-construction necessary, which is truly a pain. Also, no rotten wood. What are you planning to use for flooring, and what's your budget?

I guess that is my biggest question about flooring material... I though about an aluminum floor. I have several race shops and fabrication shops right around me to do the welding. I thought about making a large cardboard template of the floor and getting some sheets of 3/16" aluminum from one of the bigger discount metal warehouses in Mpls. Not sure what thickness I would need with that kind of floor support system in there. I could bring the sheets and the template in and have them cut it to fit and drop it in and weld it. I would probably have them weld in a front deck similar to the back one. I guess if I went this route I would probably never have to worry about doing a thing again with the floor system but it would probably be somewhat costly. Maybe I could get a welder for aluminum and get good at that and instead of paying someone to weld it do it myself and have a aluminum welder left over :).

Budget is not too big of an issue with the floor to me. rather pay more to know it will never need to be done again. Other thought would be do an epoxy coated wood floor (treated probably) havent done too much research on the different kinds of wood available or methods.

Another question I have is do I need some side support on this thing. As is, if you grab the sides near the aft side of the bend they are somewhat wobbly. My guess this is pretty normal for an 18' boat with no cross support. Will the crossmember at the back of the front deck firm that up enough or do I need to have some sort of gussets welded on down the sides of the boat. I searched for a bit on this forum and found another post with a similar boat that had "moon shaped" (somewhat moon shaped) supports welded in. Would that be overkill? I dont plan on hitting 3 foot waves at 40 mph in this thing.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Box in sides w/alum lockers to one peace Al aircraft or red labled 3/16" floor riveted in with stock car rivets seal bottom as recoumened. How old is this boat for floation in not present .

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No pressure treated in an aluminum boat!!!! The new stuff eats aluminum. No joke.

lfreng

Seaman

Box in sides w/alum lockers to one peace Al aircraft or red labled 3/16" floor riveted in with stock car rivets seal bottom as recoumened. How old is this boat for floation in not present .

boat is a 1977, probably a good idea to put some foam under the floor if she goes down ehh?

lfreng

Seaman

well just called a couple of metal dealers up here and a sheet of 4x8 3/16" 5052 aluminum is $214... that will be over $600 for the floor material alone! more than the boat costed. so wood it is.... gonna do some research on here to find out good wood recommendations.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Buy used or scrap that was maybe drilled with small holes it will save you alot . Your going to cover with carpet anyhow .

Huron Angler

Admiral

Excellent hull to restore, I love those huge Lund fishing boats.:)

I'm sure you've seen the other 18' Resorter project, I'd recommend reinforcing the sides the same way or put the benches back in for lateral support.

Are you looking to make it a side console or run it as a tiller?

Plenty of options for you to consider, good luck with it!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I have the same questions Huron Angler.

What you could do is go to the Lund forum in the manufacturers section and look through the "Post your Picture" thread and see how most are laid out.
I also agree that some form of box frame is going to be needed to reinforce the gumwales as that is wat Lund originally did with those hulls. Nice project!

lfreng

Seaman

According to the PO that had gutted this thing it had no benches for reinforcement. It had a storage locker on each side and a live well across from the drivers console with pedestal seating. I did see that other big resorter project, looks like you could run that thing over the falls and it wouldnt buckle. I will probably do the same with the gunwhale support and hide them in the storage lockers. I will be setting it up as a side console.

I will keep posting pics as I go, getting the trailer down from the cabin on the 4th and going to sand blast that and redo it before I get started on the boat. Can't wait though! thanks for the info above. I will check out that lund site.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

While its gutted and sitting there might as well check out the transom. Don't want to get into the project and have to backtrack. Congrats on the new rig! Gonna be fun makin her just the way u want!

lfreng

Seaman

I got the gunwhale braces fabricated and dryfitted. Waiting for my rivets to come in the mail so I can install them. I got a 2" wide c-channel piece of aluminum and riveted 1/8" aluminum sheet to the sides to fit the profile of the boat. My dad borrowed me his plasma cutter to cut the aluminum. WOW is that a great invention! I got some 1" al. angle and will cut those into 3/4' wide angle braces to rivet to the sheet aluminum and the boat. I plan on putting some epoxy putty behind the angle brace on the boat side and let it set up before riveting so it does not pull in the rounded boat aluminum to the flat brace. I also cut into the floor system so I could rivet the braces directly to the aluminum supports that run all the way across the bottom of the hull for added support. Will post some more pics as I continue

. P1080097.JPG

lfreng

Seaman

Ok I am ready to install the floor decking. Will be using 3/4" ext plywood from HD. Any recommendations as to epoxy/fiberglass? Have you used a product or kit you would recommend? If so who makes it? I have read through several posts but do not see any specific brands of epoxy material used by members. If you know of a thread with good details if you could post the link that would be great. Is it necessary to wrap the whole deck in cloth or is just coating the wood in epoxy sufficient to waterproof it. The floor will be covered with carpet so I am not worried about wear on the deck. I am not worried about strength either as there is a very good subfloor system in the boat already. Mostly just looking to waterproof the wood for longevity. I have read that some people use polyresin but have also read that this is not recommended and epoxy is preferred. Thanks for any help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The best sealing method is fiberglass and poly resin or epoxy resin. Second best, which is what most of us tinnie guys are going with, is epoxy resin alone (poly is useless without glass). You probably won't find epoxy at a local store. Many are ordering from U.S. Composites, Clark Craft, or others.

lfreng

Seaman

The best sealing method is fiberglass and poly resin or epoxy resin. Second best, which is what most of us tinnie guys are going with, is epoxy resin alone (poly is useless without glass). You probably won't find epoxy at a local store. Many are ordering from U.S. Composites, Clark Craft, or others.

I will check those out thanks! Probably just going to go with the epoxy resin.