Margaret Jaine the 78 Starcraft SS Resto

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is such a great site and I have been reading resto posts for a month. Thanks all.

I went out and picked up this 1978 Starcraft and trailer w/o motor. I decided to call her Margret Jaine after my wife and daughter's middle names. Funny, wife was not that excited about the purchase/project.

The motor in pic was a 35hp i had. Was not excited about that....more to come about that.

When I went to pick it up...my cousin and I strained our milk trying to pick the tongue up to the hitch. At first I thought is was that it had such a short tongue and no motor; bad balance. Knew my old cherokee would struggle with such tongue weight, so I hacked off the coupler and used 2 hitch pins to make a removable tongue.

In addition to all the rain, I noticed some leaking rivets too.

Then from reading done hear, I realized i may have a very solid feeling deck but the flotation foam was waterlogged. Balls!

So, up comes the deck.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Margret Jaine the 78 Starcraft SS Resto

What a stinking mess. And I started on the tear off on Mother's Day. Next thing I know, a bunch of the wife's family comes over to the house. Mehh, I kept working.

Then I got to justify my pressure washer purchase from last year. Wife wanted to know why I need the big one. Duh!

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello CP and welcome to the Starmada!!!! There is no hope for you now:eek:
That's a great boat that the family will love. Good job on posting the pics right off. You've studied well.:D
MP

Huron Angler

Admiral

Great start there, welcome to the Starcraft fleet:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard. That's a great boat you've got there and yes, the family will love it. My wife wouldn't let me name the boat after her :p

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Boys gotta have toys!! Helllooooo.:D Here I'll help you out..You need the following.
1) CNC milling machine for new dash
2) Portable soda blaster with huge compressor
3) pneumatic rivit gun
4) pneumatic stapler
5) Industrial sewing machine (for new cushions)
6) paint gun
7) Orbital sander
8) _______________________Must be something else you need:confused:

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Of course, I decide to start this project when time is short. Two jobs and some kids activities and wife decides she wanted to take on a job...which leaves the kids with me...yadda yadd yadda. They like to help as soon as you turn your back.

I was working on rivets and my 3yr old stole my creeper.

Anyways, I ordered the Aluminum/Aluminum closed rivets; bought Gluvit and 3M 5200; and a China Freight rivot gun. I get one spare moment when the rivots arrived and put the 5200 on it and drive it home. Easy Cheesy, right?

Wait! the 3M tube says something like, once you break open the tube the sealant will start curing in the tube... Balls?

So, I get more time to go back and pop some rivots and decided to pop them dry then gluvit them from inside.

Almost two weeks later, I decide to fill her with water and check for leaks. Almost all of my replaced closed end rivots leaked. Maybe because I only had one coat of gluvit on most of them. the one with 5200 was a ok.

Have to go back and drill them out and wet pop the...hit a few more spots on the seams too.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boys gotta have toys!! Helllooooo.:D Here I'll help you out..You need the following.
1) CNC milling machine for new dash
2) Portable soda blaster with huge compressor
3) pneumatic rivit gun
4) pneumatic stapler
5) Industrial sewing machine (for new cushions)
6) paint gun
7) Orbital sander
8) _______________________Must be something else you need:confused:

Thanks...I have the air compressor, pneumatic rivit gun, paint gun, and Orbital sander. Always looking for Number 8

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like to obsess over things and that dang 35hp was weighing on my mind. No way was I gonna be happy with it. Time to find a donor.

$400 dollars with galvanized trailer and a 1976 70hp Evinrude. Wife was so happy with one boat in the garage and driveway...two would be twice the fun; err, right.

I promised her that after I took the motor that I could make my $400 back easily. My cousin has a buddy who wants it yesterday. Still waiting for that guy to pick it up.

Motor does need a fuel pump; po took it apart and lost spring. He hooked the jumper box to it and sprayed the carbs and hit the key for just a quick moment...she fired right up.

Ordered the fuel pump and need to order the water pump kit too. Plus cleaning carbs, plugs etc.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the brohood Chase!:D

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Weather was great over holiday weekend and I decided to paint. Love the original blue paint. Would love to paint it white first then do the blue, but had to do it the other way around so i could see the blue lines/pattern.

A little sanding, 50/50 0f water and vinegar and then some zince chromate primer and it was time to slow down and deal with all the excitement of taping my lines.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TaDa!

A little rustoleum blue; air compressor and a HVLP gun on Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning.

Now once i redo the rivits that I re-did. I will work on the white with a roller and brush I think.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, great to see all the members after reading all of your threads.

Thanks all.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Holy smokes! Your stripe is awesome!! I think there has only been one other guy pull that off. He goes by the name of Charlie and has been nominated to the Starcraft Hall of Fame for making it happen (came with a sizable cash prize). Heck, wait by your mail box, the committee may be sending you some big winnings too!:D:D:D

Very nice work man:)

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Holy smokes! Your stripe is awesome!! I think there has only been one other guy pull that off. He goes by the name of Charlie and has been nominated to the Starcraft Hall of Fame for making it happen (came with a sizable cash prize). Heck, wait by your mail box, the committee may be sending you some big winnings too!:D:D:D

Very nice work man:)

Ha..thanks, these are cell pics too. Any winnings would be re-invested into this Project B.O.A.T(Bail Out Anther Thousand).

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thread started today and look at all the progress. Splashing this weekend?

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome aboard. That's a great boat you've got there and yes, the family will love it. My wife wouldn't let me name the boat after her :p

My wife would not let me name after part of the movie Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Passed by it on tv the other night and wife said if I named the boat the "Cl&t Commander" then she would dissolve our partnership. That would hurt the rebuild budget...which is modest at the moment anyhow.

Thread started today and look at all the progress. Splashing this weekend?

I wish, i am ready to get fishin....I was taking pics all along and was a bit shy to start my own thread.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just realized I spelled my wife's middle name wrong:facepalm: I guess it is Margaret. I can't even spell her first name right. Sorry wifey.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just finished riveting the rivets that I riveted dry. Coated them in the 3M this time and mixed some gluvit to do some seams and such.

It seemed more fluid. The first batch a few weeks ago was thicker and it was much cooler temps too.

The leakers were mostly the ones coated in that first thicker mix of gluvit when it was cooler out.

I think the donor boat is going to get picked up tomorrow. Fingers crossed but mama not holding her breath.